Chapter 13

Being outside felt like summer, after having been cooped up in the dark castle for days. The directions Chelsea had given me were hardly necessary, as I could smell the trees from here. It was a different smell than the heavy, moist ferns and pine trees I was used to. Over here the air was dry and hot.

I wasn't particularly hungry, but it seemed like a good idea to feed when I could, seeing there would probably linger a smell of human blood when I got back. And, and here I faltered a bit in my step, I would probably need the energy it would give me. A giggle escaped me and I made to jump the next tree that came in sight.

All of a sudden, I was shoved against the bark and the sweet smell of honey hit me in the face a fraction of a second before lips crushed against mine. Immediately my arms wrapped around my attackers neck.

"Demetri", I breathed, as his lips moved from my face to the nape of my neck. His teeth scraped against my skin, causing me to tremble involuntarily.

"I missed you", he almost growled, as his hands roamed my back. I could tell.

Dinner would have to wait.

Like the first time, it astonished me how pliable our body's were even though they could break through a brick wall. His marble skin felt like velvet as I caressed his cheeks and pressed my fingers in his shoulders when his lips trailed from my mouth to the soft spot beneath my ear. I hadn't thought I could ever use the word soft to describe a part of me again.

We stopped before the sun came up and moved deeper into the forest. There we finally slowed down enough to talk.

Always touching at least in one place, we stood on a branch high in the air, enjoying the first rays of sunlight.

"Aah, I've missed this." I closed my eyes and lifted my chin, feeling the warmth on my face. Cold would never bother me again and neither would desert heat, but I remembered how to enjoy sunshine on my face. The myriad of crystalline facets threw rainbows on Demetri's gray coat, painting him in eight different colors.

He kissed me softly on my exposed throat. "Was it so bad, inside?"

"No", I moaned, as he gently bit the skin beneath my chin. "I've learned so much and even made a friend, I think."

"Who?" His hand covered mine as I stroked his jaw that would always be smooth.

"Chelsea. She led me out of the castle and pointed me in the right direction. She is nice."

He leaned back a bit and frowned. "As apposed to whom?"

"Jane", I fought back a shiver, thinking back to the hate in those perfect eyes.

At that, he chuckled softly. "Ah, yes, the witch twins are not very good with people."

"I thought it was forbidden to turn children?" Something I learned from Caius. He had enjoyed enlightening me about immortal children.

"It is", Demetri moved back to nibble at my ear, which made my mind go blank for a minute. "But they are tolerated because of their gifts."

"Pain", I breathed, remembering the knives in my head.

With a sharp move, Demetri pulled back and squeezed his eyes. "They used them on you?" His sudden anger was strangely satisfying.

"Jane did, for a few seconds, but then Aro told her off."

His anger diminished slightly, although he muttered: "I will speak to her. You belong to me, now. She is not to hurt you in any way."

His possessive statement brought forth a number of different emotions. Was I happy with the fact he called me his? I was grateful for him wanting to protect me, but I was not a possession.