Chapter 3 - Void

Alexander walked around aimlessly, where was he? Everything was dark, yet he could see. The floor clearly had a layer of water, yet he was never wet by it. Most interesting was his eyes, they were the only part of his body that had been coloured.

Who was he? He was a god. Where was he? He was in a void.

These questions were ones he'd ask himself every moment he was in the strange void. It was like a voice making sure he doesn't drift and forget about the terrifying void that made his heart ache.

The blonde reached his hand out, a sense of duty. He should be doing something right now, but what was it? What was he? Who was he?

He was a god, he told himself that. He was a god. He was a god. He was a god. He was-

What?

"Aw come back here you little bastard! I won't let you get away with that!" Alexander yelled as he chased his nephew. The young child ran as fast as his little legs would take him, but it was too slow for his uncle.

"Yeah I got you! Little menace! Let's see how much you like getting water splashed at you," he splashed some water at the child. The two chuckled lightly before laughing, the orange haired boy turned to his uncle.

"Alex?" The uncle turned to his nephew. Floris held Alexander's hand tightly as he reached his hand out, "why does father always have to leave for duty but you get to play?"

Alexander sat up and picked his nephew up, "well, wouldn't you be lonely?" He smiled brightly at the child, his fox ears and orange hair stood out in the crowd. The last thing Alexander would want is for Floris to get hurt, emotionally and physically.

Floris' green eyes glimmered for a moment, "say, I reckon," his uncle placed him down before finishing his sentence. "Wilbur's probably free right now, wanna visit your father?"

Floris nodded excitedly as he held his uncle's hand, he loved his uncle. Father always put duty before him, but it was okay. He knew father was busy with the nation, but Fundy wished that he could spend more time with his father. He just wanted to be daddy's little boy for a while longer.

"Oh father dearest," Alexander cooed in a mocking tone. Floris tried his best to peek into the van's windows, he was still a bit too short for him to peek. Vernilson opened the van door, "what- ah, Floris!"

The fox child hugged his father tightly, "did you have fun with uncle Alex today?" His father asked, picking up the demi-human. The boy excitedly replied with a loud yes, oh how he missed those days.

Floris sighed as he opened his eyes, war was near. The final battle, for victory. Oh how he missed those days, playing with his uncle who never seemed to age and being excited whenever his father came to the camps.

He stared at his uniform, it was different from the adults. Hand crafted by his father, it was made with pastel colours and the material was soft and comfortable, he couldn’t stand out more than he already did.

“Floris It’s time,” the ginger turned to look at his uncle’s face. It was unchanged by time and not a single scar or scratch had remained. Even after a fierce battle with the enemy, not a single scratch was left on him.

"Are you scared?" His uncle came to ruffle the boy's hair. "N-no.. I'm just… nervous.. that's all..." Alexander smiled at his nephew, "hey, I won't blame you if you're scared. It's your first time fighting in the war," Floris looked up at Alexander. Yeah, his uncle was right, it was his first time. Of course he was scared, but he wanted his father to see him as a teenager instead of a six year old boy.

"Come on now buddy, who taught you how to fight?" Alexander placed his elbow on Floris' head. The fox chuckled, "you." He pushed the arm away from his head to look at his uncle's piercing eyes, "who is the strongest fighter in L'vrijburg?" The blonde raised his hand to form a fist in front of Floris, "you." It was always funny to the child, how his uncle's ice cold eyes that could almost pierce him, were nothing like him. Floris looked at the fist, a smile had plastered on his face as he returned the fist bump.

"There we go! That's my apprentice," Alexander ruffled Floris' hair before re-adjusting his hat. Floris followed suit as he grabbed his own hat to complete the uniform. He awaited the long night of battle that would soon occur. 

But he could never prepare for what would soon befall on his home, his country. A side of his uncle he'd never seen, a side that he feared yet admired.