Chapter Two| Burdens of Fault

"Akira!" I heard my name being yelled

"Akira!" I heard my name being yelled. I turned around only to be tackled to the ground with a body laying on top of mine.

"Gotcha ya," A laugh erupted out of my dear friend.

"Ruth, what did I tell you about sneaking up on me and tackling me to the ground." I stood up patting my skirt that sprouted dust particles in the air with a glare on my face.

Ruth stood up as well with a wide grin not caring to dust herself off. "That I should not throw you to the ground because then your clothings get dirty,"

I peeked an eyebrow. "And so do mine,"

I nodded and chuckled knowing very well that she would continue doing what I clearly tell her every time not to do. Bending down, I picked up the bucket and headed down the dirt road on my way to the stream with Ruth right beside me.

"Did the boy accept the marriage proposal to your sister?" Ruth questioned.

"No," I whispered, my fingers grasping the bucket tightly.

It was all my fault too.

"Don't you dare blame this on yourself Akira." Ruth spoke out staring at me with hard eyes like she had just read my mind.

"But it is because of me that none of my sisters are able to find a suitable man to marry. It is also my fault that you are not able to find a husband." Her parents have warned her to stay away from me as I would do nothing but ruin her but that never stopped my friend.

Three years have gone by since my secret was brought out into the light. These years have been a dark time for my family and it was all my doing. The people in our town have casted down their eyes upon me and anyone who holds me in relation.

My older sisters, Elizabeth and Tara, have not been able to find a man willing to marry them simply because they share my blood. Elizabeth had lost her fiancé because of me as their family wanted to do nothing with ours. My mother and father have lost their titles that they had worked hard to establish in this society.

They all hated me for it...except for my father.

"Akira, stop putting this burden on yourself. You are not in fault of this at all."

"You are only saying that because you are my friend."

"That is precisely the reason. As your friend, I am telling you honestly what is the truth. A truth you are refusing to believe." She burst out aggressively trying to get me to listen to her.

"It is because the truth you are proclaiming to me is nothing but an illusion." My words made her blow air from her mouth through the thin opening.

"I have never met someone more stubborn then you." Ruth said stomping on the ground like a child.

"And I have never met someone more childish then you Ruth." This made her huff again with her eye narrowing on me.

"Here I was trying to uplift you while you insult me in return. I thought we were friends," Ruth murmured under her breath. I laughed seeing her grumpy face and reached over her with one hand pinching her cheeks.

"Hey!" She swatted my hand away and going in to pinch my cheeks.

"No you don't."

"Yes I will."

We quarreled with one another on the rest of the journey sharing laughs and talking.

I knew it was selfish but I was so happy that Ruth had chosen to be my friend even though she suffered everyday because of it.

It was almost sunset by the time we reach our village. Ruth carried one side of the bucket while I carried the other as the weight of the water surpassed what I could hold.

Whispers erupted around us as we walked through the crowd.

"Woman like her disgust me."

"I bet she has already lost her purity."

"How could she live with herself."

"A witch, she must be a witch."

People only spoke around me when they wanted to spout vile and foul names at me. There were even times when some would throw stones at my body to inflict pain. They made sure I would feel nothing but shame for what I had done and they had succeeded.

My head faced the ground as I headed to my home ignoring the people around me. I did not want to cause more trouble or even further their anger however I could see Ruth's body shake.

"Ruth, please don't say anything. Do not fuel their anger. It is not worth it." I quietly said fearing of what would occur if she spoke out of line.

"I won't say anything. Not because I believe what they say is true, but because I know that the God above is a just God and He won't let these people go unpunished for their sins."

_____

author's note

I know this was kind of a filler chapter and the next couple ones with be too because I'm setting the story but I promise it won't be too boring.
Anywhose enough with the boring stuff, what do you guys think about Ruth?
I know I already love her so I hope you do too.

Thank you for the love and support and can't wait to see you in the next chapter.

Bye 👋🏽

unedited