Chapter Seven| The King

Hearing the loud horns froze everyone

The town was in chaos.

Ruth and I stared at each other with wide eyes before we ran behind the group of other woman who were headed to the area we are to be stationed.

My heart raced a mile per minute as my feet moved on their own record. My hand without thought grabbed Ruth's as I began to sweat in nervousness.

"Silence!" The voice echoed quieting everyone. A man in a knight's armor stood before us in a dominating way. He was fairly handsome with his light chestnut hair and a muscle built.

"Isn't he handsome." My friend whispered without any shame.

"Ruth!" I whispered.

She only gave me a wink before turning back to the front. I had hoped she could feel my anger through my eyes.

"Your King has come to this town in search for a bride. Your future queen." A few whispers of excitement broke throughout the crowd.

"Each woman is to stand in line as His Royal Highness comes and searches. No woman is the speak with the king unless spoken to if not they will be punished severely."

Guards entered the crowd guiding the woman in an orderly line. Ruth stayed beside me giving me a comforting smile. My eyes wandered the crowd looking for my family but none were in sight.

"Now presenting the ruler of this kingdom, King Darian."

I saw a massive figure step up in front of the crowd but his face was unclear masked by the crowd. Despite not seeing his face, I felt is dominance radiating in the atmosphere. He was sheer power.

The nervousness exceeded my body as my eyes focused on the ground.

Why was I feeling like this?

I heard his footsteps as he passed the crowd. My eyes desperate to get a glimpse however the distance made it impossible to catch a look at the man who was feared by all.

It felt as if hours had passed before a pair of boots entered my field of vision. My breath caught in my throat realizing who stood before me.

"Lift your head."

Terror trickled down my body as his command rang through my ears. His voice held authority yet it sounded familiar.

My head shot up in shock.

It couldn't be.

David.

No.

King Darian.

"N-no." The words escaped through my mouth.

A smile crept into his face. However, this smile was not filled with his usual kindness. No this smile was evil. It was filled with revenge.

I wanted to run but my feet were stuck.

"I finally found you."

He took a step towards me but I took a step back causing his eyes to darkness.

"Stop." One word made me succumb.

At the side of my eyes I saw Ruth looking in shock. The whole town was staring at me.

This was a nightmare.

God could not punish me like this.