Chapter 1

~

The ambience of night slowly disappeared as the sun creeped up from atop the horizon, greeting the world with golden rays and optimism.

However, everyone knew that the rays would slowly disappear that day, only to be replaced with blossoming rain clouds and dark, misty skies.

Most people found the rain displeasing, but to farmers such as you, it was far from unfortunate. The rain was what kept crops alive, allowing them to thrive in lands of soil and dirt. It wasn't only fortunate to you solely because of the farm you worked on, it was also because the rain was strangely calming.

Hearing it from the inside reminded you of when you used to curl up in your mother's arms as she shielded you from the sounds of thunder and lightning. She'd stroke your hair gently and tell you that it was the sound of the gods creating magic to give someone, somewhere in the world. She'd tell you that one day, that magic would be given to you.

The rest of your life, you lived waiting for that moment.

Your mother was more of a stranger to you than she was a relative. Your memories of her were foggy and it brought discomfort to your mind whenever you tried to remember her. The only thing you had left of her was her necklace - a simple silver chain with a camellia dangling from the end. Originally, it wasn't hers. It was a family heirloom, passed down from generation to generation. Your mother had passed it down to you before she had left and that was a sign that she was never coming back. You almost always kept the necklace with you, even if it was simply sitting in your pocket. It provided some sort of security and comfort.

You were planting some crops on the farm with your close friend, Wren.

You had to get it done quickly before the rain came to turn dirt into mud. It was only the two of you, so you doubted that you'd be able to finish in time. You had worked in mud plenty of times, still it wasn't a pleasant task.

Life was quite monotonous. You repeated the same routine every day. There wasn't much to do, except draw and read. If you weren't working, you were laying in bed or talking to Anastasia.

Wren looked as if he was having the time of his life. You knew that he enjoyed life on the farm and while you did too, your heart longed for something outside of the small town you lived in. Sometimes living there was unbearable and it was slowly beginning to take a toll on you.

Some people would love to live in a small town where everyone knows each other, but the town you lived in particularly wasn't all what it cracked up to be.

The town thrived on gossip and rumours.

It wouldn't matter if there was a rumour spread about somebody, because it would be replaced with another one within a week. That didn't necessarily mean that it wasn't terrible being gossiped about, of course. The rumours were what chased your mother out of town, apparently. You were too young to come with her and there wasn't enough in her pack to sustain the both of you, so she left you with your grandmother.

"You all right, [Y/N]?" a voice called, distracting you from your miserable thoughts.

You glanced upwards to see Wren waving a hand in front of your face. You stepped back in surprise, almost tripping over your own feet and landing in the just-planted crops.

"Oh," you blinked. "Yes, I'm fine. Thanks."

"You looked deep in thought over there," Wren commented. "Didn't want you to drift away."

You gave Wren a small smile in response and continued digging and planting. It was tedious work but you had to do it if you wanted to make a living. Soon, it started spitting rain and you were satisfied to find that you were almost finished with planting the crops. After your hard work, you helped Wren pack everything away and you started making your way back home, which luckily wasn't too far away from the farm.

Your house was further away from the main town than most houses, but you were more than happy with that. As long as you were away from the town and its dramas, you were content.

You got changed into some comfortable clothes and retreated into the kitchen to brew some tea. You sat down on the couch and turned on the gramophone beside it, allowing your body to rewind to the music.

Unlike most, you had rarely ever heard music being played live. The only performances played in the town were at the pub, but the musicians were barely mediocre. Considering how small the town was, it was always forgotten by large bands and singers. For now, you would have to satisfy yourself with the sound of singing from an old gramophone.

You sipped your tea and listened to the rain pitter-patter outside as well as the music playing. You felt like you could stay like this forever. At home, curling up on the couch with the gramophone on, listening to the rain and relaxing without a care in the world. Life wasn't like that, though. You couldn't do nothing forever. You couldn't relax all the time. You couldn't not worry.

The truth hurt but there was nothing you could do about it.

Your eyes drifted away from the window and toward a black and white photo of you and your other close friend, Anastasia. The two of you had met when she had moved to the town (why anyone would want to move there was beyond you). It wasn't as if Anastasia had a choice on who she could be friends with, because it was really only you and Wren that were her age.

The two of you had shared similar interests, so it was easy to talk to her.

Hours passed by and you had been too distracted to finish your tea. It had gotten cold, so you poured the rest down the drain and set the cup beside the sink to wash later. You decided to eat leftovers for dinner - you were too tired to cook. After dinner, you fell back into the same boring routine. Having a bath, brushing your teeth, reading and then going to sleep.

You didn't look forward to waking up to another uninteresting day.