Chapter 15

~

Thinking back, you discovered that you had fallen in love long before, but the realisation was only coming to you then.

You had shut yourself out from people for so long, that you had never experienced what it was like to fall in love, let alone have a simple liking toward someone. There were a few married couples in the town, but they had never acted like they truly loved each other.

Feeling it for yourself was so different, so odd.

You'd often hear some couples arguing with each other in the middle of the night, so you had grown to assume that being in love wasn't a pleasant feeling. But what you felt was so close to pleasant, yet it hurt so much, too. Your hope that Wilbur felt the same way slowly turned to anxiety that he didn't, that he only saw you as a friend.

As if the universe could hear your thoughts, you heard the door open and Wilbur stepped in. You'd seen him so many times, but this time was different. Your palms became sweaty and you wanted to run away, yet you wanted to stay and talk to him at the same time. You took a deep breath to calm yourself down.

"You're finally awake," Wilbur smiled. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Kind of," you answered, sounding as casual as you could.

"Maybe a walk would clear your mind," he suggested. "I know how stressed you've been since yesterday."

"Sure," you said.

You were still in your pyjamas, so you hurried into your room and got dressed. You put on the nicest clothes you had, although you had been saving them for a special occasion. You noticed that Wilbur had put on some clothes he didn't commonly wear.

There weren't many people out - exactly the way you liked it. Though, it made you nervous. The way it was just you and Wilbur. You both walked peacefully down the path, although you felt anything but peaceful. Your hands twitched at your side. How you wanted to take Wilbur's hands in yours.

You needed to tell him.

You had to take this chance. If you didn't, then you'd never. If you did, then you might make things between you and Wilbur awkward and that was the last thing you wanted. It hurt too much.

You sat down on a bench and Wilbur set himself beside you. The leaves from the surrounding trees fell around the two of you, floating softly to the floor. You fiddled with your fingers on your lap and stared straight ahead - anything to avoid eye contact with Wilbur. You exhaled and moved your gaze down to your lap.

"Wilbur, I need to tell you something," you said.

"What is it?" he asked, looking at you.

You kept your eyes fixated on your lap.

"I..." you started. "I think I like you. More than what I expected. I don't know what's going on, because I've never felt this way before. It's kind of scary. However, I know that I've liked you for a while, although I only discovered my feelings yesterday. The more I think about it, the more I realise that I might be falling in love with you. I probably sound so creepy and ridiculous right now, I think I'll shut up."

You laughed awkwardly at the end of the sentence and only dipped your head further to block Wilbur from your sight. He was silent. It frightened you more than it did having to tell him. You looked at him through the corner of your eye and saw that he was just staring at you.

"It'd be really nice if you could say something," you said quietly.

A few moments passed before anything happened. Wilbur cupped your cheek in his hand and forced you to stare at him. His deep brown eyes pierced through your own. His face wasn't close to yours, but the air between the two of you seemed so small and confined.

"I think I'm falling in love with you too," Wilbur said.

The gap between you two closed as his lips touched yours. Your eyes shut almost instinctively. His free hand found its way onto your other cheek, pulling your face slightly closer to his. You rested your hands on his shoulders, then you pulled away to take in what happened.

You blinked repeatedly and Wilbur simply smirked at you.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi," you breathed out, dropping your hands into your lap.

Wilbur gently took your hands in his, acting as if it was a natural thing. He stroked your hand with his thumb and looked into your eyes with a small smile.

"What does this mean for us?" you asked.

"We don't need to be in a relationship now, if you don't want to," Wilbur said. "A lot has been happening in your life and I don't want to add onto that. Whenever you're ready, I'll be here."

"No, I want to," you said. "Be in a relationship with you, I mean. I think I'm ready."

"You think, or you know?" Wilbur asked.

"I know," you said firmly. "I know I want to be with you."

"Good," Wilbur smiled, placing one last chaste kiss on your lips.