Chapter 12

~

Your heart pounded against your chest.

There was no way you could cover up what they just saw. Anastasia pushed through the crowd, her eyes filled with worry and guilt.

"[Y/N], I'm so sorry," she said. "I tried to hide it, but they noticed you hadn't been home and I couldn't stop them."

Looking through the windows of your house, you saw how trashed it was. Things had been torn and thrown around, as if they had been searching for something.

"[Y/N], you've crossed the line," one of the townspeople said.

"I've crossed the line?" you scoffed. "You searched through my house, ruined it, wrecked it, all for your own gain. I should've left permanently when I had the chance."

"Left permanently?" they asked. "To visit the other world, hm? We're not letting that happen anymore. Don't you understand? You belong here with us. You don't want to go off to wherever the hell you've been! This is where you belong, [Y/N], in the town with the people that love you."

"Love me? You do nothing but ruin the lives of the people here!" you screamed, pushing them away from you. "You're nothing but leeches that feed off the sadness of others."

"You either stay here, or face the consequences, [Y/N]," they snapped.

You went to step back through the puddle, but someone grabbed you before you could. You wriggled in their grasp and tried to escape back to the puddle, but they had shoved you into your own home. The door was barricaded with something and you couldn't escape. You banged at the door, screaming at the top of your lungs. You could hear Anastasia screaming at the townspeople to stop, but the sound of a smack silenced her.

Your heart dropped.

The townspeople had barricaded the windows with wooden planks so quickly, it was obvious how desperate they were to keep you inside. Your hands were aching and bruised from banging on the door. You slid down and rested your back against the door, staring at your mother's necklace which was still on the coffee table.

Hours passed until you heard another voice.

"Psst, [Y/N]," you heard.

You jumped upwards and placed your ear against the door.

"Come to the back door," Anastasia said quietly, but loud enough for you to hear.

You ran to the back door and heard the sound of Anastasia unbarricading it. She threw open the door and you embraced her tighter than ever.

"Oh, Anna, I'm so sorry," you whimpered.

"It's fine, it's not your fault," she said. "It's mine. They found the clothes Wilbur had bought you and they threatened my father. I couldn't lie to them."

"I understand," you said.

You snuck out the back and stood in front of the puddle. It was the middle of the night and everyone was asleep, except you and Anastasia.

"Anna, I can't leave you here," you said. "They'll find out and punish you."

"It's fine," she smiled lightly. "I'll be fine."

"No, you won't," you whisper-yelled, tears streaming down your face. "No, I can't leave you here. I'll stay here if I have to."

"[Y/N], there's no point in staying here when it's clear that your heart is in another world."

You stifled back a sob and hugged Anastasia once again, crying into her hair. You clung onto her firmly. You didn't want to let go. You couldn't. Anastasia pulled away from the hug and placed a small kiss on your forehead. Then...

She pushed you in.