Chapter 18

~

Grey clouds loomed overhead, telling you that there would be a possible shower later on.

It had been a year since the puddle faded away and despite how long it had been, you never forgot about Wilbur. You hung your modern clothes on your wall in your bedroom, a place where you would see it every day. The colours had become dull as time passed, but you still remembered the brightness behind it.

You hoped Wilbur never forgot about you, either. You wanted Wilbur to be happy, but the thought of him forgetting you broke your heart.

The daunting clouds were the greatest thing you had seen recently, your heart swollen with joy. Clouds, rain, puddles. You raced out of your house and made a beeline straight for Anastasia. She had the same idea as you, as the two of you met half-way.

"[Y/N]!" she screamed.

"Anastasia!" you squealed. "The drought is finally over. You know what this means?"

"The puddles," she breathed out.

You cried happily, hugging Anastasia as tears of joy ran down your face. Feeling drops of water on your face was the most refreshing and relieving feeling of all. Grey clouds had never seemed so bright.

You and Anastasia rushed to the front of your porch, where you sat and waited for the puddle to form. It seemed like forever until it finally did. You glanced down at it in all its glory. Seeing your reflection in it once again felt like a dream. Now, the moment of truth. You took a deep breath and dipped your foot in.

Your entire ankle was submerged under the puddle

You covered your mouth and stifled back a sob when you saw it. You glanced back at Anastasia with the widest grin you ever had before. She was smiling almost as wide as you.

"What are you waiting for?" she asked. "Go!"

With another deep breath, you stepped in as you had done a year ago. The familiar dizzy feeling swallowed you, but it was a feeling you missed so much. A bright light flashed in front of you, then you found yourself surrounded by familiar buildings and familiar people.

Familiar sidewalks, familiar roads, familiar cracks in the walls.

You remembered where the pier was, where the man who played the guitar sat, where you had your first modern drink with Wilbur.

Without any hesitation, you made your way straight to Wilbur's apartment.