CHAPTER 2 - a cold night

It was dark around me when I reopened my eyes.

"You. A Lost Soul that has returned. Someone forcibly opened the gate, that I tried to keep shut. I did you and your bringer wrong. Forgive me. I will allow you, returning soul, to enter my kingdoms. But I have to keep you here in my world. I Don't want more Souls to get lost outside."

-~---~-

I felt raindrops on my face and shortly afterwards all over my body. The drizzle slowly became stronger and I noticed that someone was carrying me. "Erik...?" I asked.

"Not Erik. Bermott! It's dangerous for unarmed girls when it's dark and they're alone." said the man who carried me. "I found you, taking a deep nap in the middle of the forest. So, I took you with me." I began to wonder. What happened after I went to look at the distand fire...

The owner of the voice brought me into a cave. "It's pretty weird when you say something like that and carry me off..." I said quietly and he just dropped me. The man said nothing about it and went a little further into the cave. There he made a fire and came back to me.

"Come, come." he grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet before bringing me to the fire he just created. "We have to dry you off, otherwise you will get sick, little one.", he knelt in front of me and held his hands together. A flame formed in his hands... "Let me dry and warm you, yes? ", with his words, a cat-like creature appeared from the dark part of the cave. It set its body on fire and sat down next to me, I took advantage of the unpleasant time to look at the man. He had long, brown hair and animal ears. His bright red eyes sent shivers down my spine. "My little cute friend here is called Flamme.", Bermott stroked the inflamed animal.

"Thank you for helping me.", I took off my gloves and shoes. The strange man seemed cheerful about the thanks I gave him. He invited me to stay here with him for the night and wait till the storm ends. Of course, I agreed, even if it seems risky. "I'm looking for someone. Maybe you can help me... His name is Erik, we went camping and then you carried me off. And why are you dressed like that with Animal ears..." I poked one of his ears and shrieked when it moved.

Bermott growled and then pondered. He later leaned curiously to me.

"What day is today?", I moved away a bit, not just because he creeped me out, but because of a strange smell coming from him. Bermott's answer came quickly after that.

"I have no Idea which day but it's the year... Year 603.", he said and I replied to his words with shock. Just before it was 2025, now it should be 603?

I shook him. "Did you really say 603?" I looked at him in disbelief. He nodded and the fire in his hands disappeared. He pulled out a bag with fish. "Answer me!", I got up and he silently created fire in his hand again with which he grilled the fish.

"603 years after the great Kingdom-War. Why are you so surprised? Do you count the years differently where you come from? Where are you from?", he radiated pure curiosity and I thought about what to answer. "No answer? How rude...", he handed me a grilled fish and prepared one for himself. Flamme also got something to eat.

"No, no, I just thought it was later, I traveled for a long time... But, can you take me back where you found me? I would love to go home again.", i asked but Bermott shook his head. He already mentioned that he wanted to wait for the night and the storm to pass by, so he was not persuaded to go back now. Bermott later fell asleep while I stayed awake.

It got really cold and dark. The fire had already been extinguished. My clothes  didn't really keep me warm anymore and I felt frozen to death when the rain disappeared and the sun finally rose.  Bermott woke up when the sun's rays reached him and Flamme ran outside full of energy. "We can now go where I found you. But you will be disappointed.", he took his bag and pulled out a hidden lance.

So, we went back where Bermott had found me. However, a nasty surprise was waiting there.

There was no tent and no Erik. Just a broken stone gate with a sword, which was stuck in the ground in front of it. "This is an impressive sword. It seems, like my lance, to come from Marshall.", Bermott pulled the sword out of the ground and examined it. I decided to ignore that man for now and look for traces f my friend.

Bermott followed and handed me the sword. "Your Friend is not here, but take this. Then you have something to defend yourself with. The blades from Marshal are the very best.", I looked at the sword disappointed and discovered a signature.

"I don't know why the isn't here anymore, but maybe the owner of the sword can help. Here is a name. Sieghardt.", I showed Bermott what I had discovered.

"You cope amazingly well that your beloved friend is not here. But the name, let me think about it..." he pondered. "If the sword was really made in Marshall, it could, in keeping with the signature, belong to the Sieghardt family. It is based in the capital of Marshall. I can tell you how to get there, but unfortunately, I can't accompany you. I have my work here in this area."

Flame climbed up on Bermott, and made himself comfortable on his shoulder. "That Erik is not here weighs on me. But I can't change anything about it yet and therefore crying doesn't help me. So, it's better to try to get home for now.", Bermott helped me tie a temporary holder for the sword. We then walked a little until we arrived at the edge of the forest.

"You just have to follow this path here until you arrive in a village and you can ask there exactly where you have to go. Watch out for monsters along the way. Just run away and hide.", he smiled but I wasn't able to listen. The landscape was different than before. I wasn't on my beloved Island anymore... but like the voice I heard in my head said: It seems like I am in a different world?

I turned around to ask the man what all this was about but he was gone... I now realized what he had said. "Wait, wait. Monsters?!" I shouted after him.

But he didn't answer me.