CHAPTER 7 - childish fears

What in the world was that... These voices...

In complete shock, I looked at Nodachi who now calmly laid his hand on my shoulder. "Are you alright? What happened... You look like you saw a ghost or something like that," he seemed concerned about the whole situation.

"I'm sure she's alright. Travelers see a lot of disturbing stuff while on their journey. Sometimes your brain tells you there was something dangerous because monsters like to attack out of nowhere," Tashken said with a smile and tried to calm the both of us down. But these voices said things about him... Why is it that I should trust him?

Nodachi didn't take Tashken's words well because he whispered, "We shouldn't trust him," in my ear before turning towards the brown-haired man again. "Still, I will have you return what you stole. I feel uncomfortable returning to the village, but I dislike being around an active thief."

With a frown Tashken responded shortly, "Then just leave me alone... There are worse things than being robbed or approached by ghosts in this world. Childish...", him calling those 'childish fears' spoke for the fact that something clearly isn't normal about him. Well... No one I met until now was normal but that guy took it to another level. Something about him was... off?

It didn't take long for Noda to pressure the other guy enough to return to the village. Under our supervision, Tashken returned the stolen goods in the middle of the village. The villagers again had their weapons out and were ready to come after us. It wasn't as scary as the first time but I still felt my heart beating way too fast...

"Etats remrof rieht ot gninruter sluos esoht rof egnahcxe ni doolb ym uoy ot tneserp I. Lamron ot nruter sluos desruc roop eseht tel dna llac ym rewsna esaelp, ssenkrad fo drol raed.", the weapons of the angry villagers fell down as yet another stranger spoke weird words while letting an old book fly in front of him.

He seemed to do something to the townsfolk by doing that. Once the magic user opened his eyes, there was a somewhat surprised but concerned look on his face. His mismatched eyes really drew me in... With one Golden and one purple eye he looked at me before slamming the book shut and running away. With the sound of the book getting closed so abruptly, the Villagers fell to the ground one after another.

"That man is a shadow-sorcerer - a user of black magic," Nodachi informed us soon after the guy ran off. I had not yet understood the reason behind meeting all of these guys at the start of my journey, but the future would have an answer for me.

Tashken seemed fond of one teenage-looking man on the ground, "Let that sorcerer be, he's gone now anyway. Besides, fearing dark magic is childish," Tashken said mockingly while putting his hand on the teenager's forehead. Nodachi and I stood beside both of them. They looked similar... Kinda like twins? The villager looked about a decade younger, so they couldn't be.

But the brown-haired started talking. "Even with bandages covering my eyes and my past being unclear... I see and feel a connection between me and this kid...," but Nodachi did not receive Tashken's action well again. With a somewhat angry expression on his face, he drew his sword, parting the bandaged and the village kid.

"That's enough. You are just trying to make us feel bad for you so that we forgot about the stolen goods. They still haven't been returned by you."

______

I am very sorry for the delay and short length of this chapter, as I spent my time drawing the sorcerer using the spellbook instead of actually writing ^^*