CHAPTER 3 - first companion

Bermott and I had separated. Now I walked alone along a small path. I was supposed to be wary of monsters, but I didn't know what exactly he meant by those. A village appeared in sight. Of course, I ran off immediately, someone could know something about how to get home!

Strange noises made themselves noticeable behind me, so I turned my head. I stumbled in terror and fell down. Turned to the strange werewolf-like creature and tried to crawl away. The monster in front of me had sharp teeth and was drooling heavily. It had fur, but many bald spots and injuries. It grabbed me with its long fingers and tore open its mouth. When it wanted to bite my head, the creature suddenly let go of me.

There were aching noises and I noticed that the monster was starting to burn.

A burning arrow was stuck in its back and the creature slumped to the ground. I tried to calm down. A black horse came to a stop next to me and someone jumped off of it. It was a small young man with a bow and arrow.

He took a few ropes out of the saddlebag and attached them to the monster, then to his horse. "I'm sorry Askan, but you have to take this to the village," he said, petting his stallion. Both completely ignored me.

"What was that... But thanks for the help.", I got up and looked at him. He brushed his blonde hair off his face.

"I had to kill it anyway. No, thanks. It tore cattle.", he said monotonously, paying no further attention to me. The horse followed him as he went off and pulled the monster after itself. I followed them. "By the way, I'm Mia Hamish Wilson. You're not that talkative, aren't you?", I introduced myself. He sighed softly and called out his name.

"Atlas Junoson is my name. Since I seem to have saved your life, you owe me something now," he began. "Madame, please leave me alone, I don't have time to take care of travelers because I have to deliver this monster and then head as quickly as possible to the Capital Marshall. I can't drag you along, that would delay me even more." He seemed a bit desperate. I immediately realized that our goal was the same.

"You will really like that our goal is the same. I also want to go to the capital of Marshall," I said, and he looked at me in dismay.

We reached the village I saw from a distant. "If you have a horse by tomorrow morning, I'll take you with me unless you get annoying. If you don't get one, I'll leave you here.", Atlas went to a villager and loosened the ropes from the monster. As a reward, he received a few coins.

"And how do I get a horse?", I joined him as he walked down the market square with his horse Askan. There were only a few stalls, but plenty to eat. Atlas bought some apples for the stallion.

"You could steal a horse or buy one. Your sword should be worth a lot, even though it looks quite old," he stroked the blade. "It should be sharpened. But anyway, I'm going to get food now, we'll meet at sunset where the monster attacked you." With these words, he got on the Black Horse and rode away. I looked after him and sat down on the edge of the village.

I emptied everything from my pockets in front of me. I only found my phone and a knife in there.

A horse pasture caught my attention and I went there. "Beautiful animals, don't you think so too?" said an elderly gentleman, and I nodded. "I overheard earlier that you need a horse? These are very beautiful animals from the north. They are called frost horses. For 50 coins, the spotted one over there is yours."

"But I don't have any money... Can I borrow it?"

"Go away! Quit wasting my time!"

The elderly man pushed me away from the fence and I nearly fell. Well that went horrible. But there was no way that I would get a horse in time until Atlas would start his way to the capital. I had to be quick in finding a solution. So I decided to take a look around the village.

There was nothing I owned which would allowed me to buy a horse, so I had to get creative. But after thinking for what felt like an hour I still had no idea what I could do...

"Pretty sword you have there.", I an unknown behind me. I gave him the rusty sword and he examined it. "You know, give this to me and I bring you to the City of Marshall. Please excuse me listening, but I overheard you and and the divine messager talking about going to the capital."

He man had long white hair and pretty blue eyes. Other than Atlas and Bermott, his clothes were clean and had a friendly look on his face. I decided to accept his offer and let him keep the sword. But At that point, I had no idea what value the sword actually had...

"Lady of the house Wilson, you can call me Nodachi. I was a Sapphire-Knight but nowdays I am just a normal and loyal traveler. I am pleased to make your acquaintance.", with a calm voice his words really got to me.

I smiled a bit. "Alright Nodachi, you can just call me Mia.". Having a friend in a situation like this seemed like something good. He seemed like a nicer traveling companion than Atlas, so settleing for him seemed like the best option at the moment.