Picnic

"I've made cheese sandwiches, ham sandwiches....jam, Nutella, chicken, blt and PB&J. There's also some ice and some cold drinks in here." Freddie brought out two huge plastic containers, one was filled to the brim with triangular sandwiches and the other had bottled drinks and ice. Elton took them from him and loaded them into the boot of the car.

"Excellent. I've bought two cakes from the shops; a Victoria sponge and a chocolate buttercream, Roger's mum has made some mini sausage rolls and some raisin scones, Liza has got cheese and crackers, brian has a fruit pot and some crisps, Joe made a pasta salad and tortillas and Phoebe has got his homemade cookies and a huge tub of yoghurt. We have an absolute feast."

"Do you feel up to it, Fred?" Roger sat on the bonnet of Elton's car, and held fred as the Persian hopped up beside him. Freddie hummed with a nod, and let Roger touch his stomach as his eyes fell closed.

"I feel one of my little tired spells coming on, but it doesn't matter because I'll just sleep in the shade." Roger held Freddie gently but tightly; each of the seniors always tried to keep Freddie as far away from danger at all times.

"Hey hey hey! Looks like I'm riding with you lot!" Liza came out of Elton's house, having spent the previous night there. Freddie held his arms out, wanting a hug, and Liza gratefully accepted, careful not to hug him around the stomach too tightly.

"Okay, everyone ready?" Elton asked as they all got into the car. Elton drove with Roger in the passenger seat. Freddie and Liza sat in the back. The seniors nodded and Elton roared up the engine.

They arrived at the park at half past one. They waited in the playground for ten minutes for the others, Freddie and Liza on the swings and Roger and Elton pushing each other off the round-about as boys do. Soon the others came, all in John's car, the rest of the food in John's car boot. They unloaded everything and put it onto a picnic blanket, sitting in the playground on a big grassy area.

Elton pulled Freddie into his lap, the Persian squealing in surprise, and in return a spoonful of yoghurt was smeared down his nose. He played mock offended, but smiled truly as he saw Freddie laugh so genuinely. They ate with comfortable chatter, arranging more things to do, when the school summer holidays rolled around.

Elton stroked Freddie's hair when the Persian yawned into his hand. Freddie hummed at the feeling and wiggled down so he was comfortably in Elton's arms. He snuggled up to the boy and let himself doze for a minute. Phoebe remembered he had an umbrella in his bag, and brought it out, putting it up over the Persian so he didn't get baked in the heat.

Elton, Roger and Phoebe kept watch over Freddie whilst the others played around for the next hour or so. When they agreed it was time to go, Elton carefully and masterfully picked Freddie up and without disturbing him put him in the passenger seat of the car and did his seatbelt for him. The teenagers parted ways in the two cars and Elton drove Freddie home. He rang the doorbell with Freddie in his arms.

Jer opened the door and let Elton through, who carefully lay Freddie down on the sofa. He said a quick goodbye to Jer and left. Jer perched next to her boy and watched him as he slept. She admired his strength; lord knows the pregnancy was hard enough on him. She kissed his head with a smile, and disappeared into the kitchen to make dinner.