Sleepless nights

Jer lay in bed, her nightlight flickering faintly. She was in the middle of reading her favourite book, Jane Eyre, when she heard the door creak quietly. She looked up to see Freddie standing by the door, rubbing his eyes.

"Mama?" Freddie yawned into his hand. Jer cooed and put her book down. "What's up, bubba? Come to mama." Freddie shuffled up to the bed and plopped down next to Jer, curling up in her arms.

"I can't sleep. The baby won't stop kicking and she's keeping me awake." Freddie pouted. He reached for his mama, and she held him tighter. She kept one protective hand on his little baby bump, and rubbed his back through his silk pyjamas.

"I know something that might help you." She said. Freddie looked up at her quizzically. She opened the drawer and got out a pair of headphones. Freddie watched on curiously. She plugged them in to her phone, and gently unbuttoned Freddie's top up to the rib cage, exposing his little bump. She gently placed the headphones around his tummy, with much difficulty due to the baby's legs flying around.

Once they were securely placed on his tummy, she opened YouTube and played some peaceful piano music at 60% volume. Freddie didn't speak, but he began to grin when he felt the baby settle down and stop kicking so much. By the time they were five minutes into the music, the baby was still as a statue.

"I bought these for you about a month ago incase this happened, but I got embarrassed and reckoned you'd think it's cringy, so I hid them." Jer whispered, giggling. Freddie smiled at his mama, and simply replied, "never. I'm glad that I have my mama to support me and introduce me to new ideas. It's worked, she's stopped. She's asleep." The both of them smiled down at Freddie's tummy, faintly hearing the music through the headphones.

"Mama?" Freddie whispered. Jer hummed, looking lovingly at her boy. Freddie yawned quietly and asked, "can I sleep here?"

Jer smiled. It was like her boy was a toddler again, curled up in her arms after a nightmare, rubbing his eyes with his fists. "Of course my baby. I'm always here." Freddie shuffled closer, careful not to jog the headphones, and wrapped himself in his mother's warmth.

Jer kissed his forehead and the peace and quiet beckoned Freddie into a blissful sleep. Jer held him willingly - she'd stay up all night if she had to. She let the music come through the headphones for a further 20 minutes, then gingerly took them off of her boy's tummy, putting her hand there instead, to protect her baby boy and granddaughter. She flicked off the lamp, took off her glasses and rested her cheek on Freddie's head. She smiled and fell asleep, content and protective.