Cooking competition

"Why have you told us to come here, Elt?" Freddie asked, the other four (namely, Roger, liz, bri and Peter) nodding with him.

"Well," Elton began, a jolly smile on his face. "I have arranged for you five to go head-to-head on a three-course cooking competition! I managed to reserve the original British bake off studio for today."

"Damn, you Rich Rich." Roger said, and the others laughed. "It sounds like fun! What do you want us to cook?" Liz asked.

"Well, there are no specific ingredients needed, but I have categories for you. Let me read them out," Elton brought a piece of paper out of his pocket. "There will be a starter of a soup of your choice. The main course must be a type of pasta, any dish you like, and to finish you must present a slice of cake for dessert. You are allowed a sauce for the dessert, and one side for the pasta. Questions?"

Brian raised his hand. "Is it just you judging?" Elton shook his head. "My mother has called all of your mothers." The teenagers erupted into laughter and mild mocking complaints.

"All my mother will do is side with me saying mines the best." Freddie laughed, hand on his bump. The others agreed theirs would do exactly the same thing.

"Some of the mums couldn't make it, so the judging panel is: me, my mother sheila, Freddie's mom Jer, Roger's mom winifred and liz's mum Judy. That means you need to serve five portions of each course. Understood?" The teenagers nodded. "Ok then, everyone into the car. You're meeting your mothers there."

The seniors piled into the car, shoving Freddie into the passenger seat despite his arguments, so they could all keep an eye on him. Elton was a tiny bit unsettled by putting his pregnant best friend in a room with knives and flames, but he trusted the Persian. He couldn't tell him not to partake now; Freddie looked so excited. He looked out the window and Elton could just tell he was thinking about what cake to do for his dessert. That boy had a bigger sweet tooth than Father Christmas.

"We're here." Elton stopped the car. The teenagers exited the vehicle and started the short walk across the lawn to get to the tent. Roger kept his arm around Freddie at all times. Freddie shivered to himself at the cold wind and rain that was sure to come, and Elton quickly shoved off his jacket and wrapped it around freddie, earning a kiss on the cheek.

Elton held open the tent for the teens to get inside into the warm, and spotted their mothers standing in a line at the head of the tent. Freddie started giggling. "I've only just realised how short my mother is." He whispered to liz. But Jer heard.

"You're the same height as me!" She said indignantly but with a smile on her face. Freddie laughed harder. Once he'd calmed down, the timer was counting down.

"Ok everyone. Your time..starts...now!" Elton yelled. All five teenagers brought out big bowls and spoons for mixing, and saucepans for boiling. Freddie chose to make a Cajun crab soup, followed by penne arrabbiata served with garlic bread, finished with a strawberry   Cheesecake with extra strawberry sauce. He started making his cake first. He made the main part of the cheesecake, tossing it into fridge, and decided he wanted the strawberry part of the cheesecake to be hot, so he boiled some strawberries in a saucepan for a few minutes, letting their juices flow out and thicken to make a form of jam. He added sugar and gelatine and whisked it around, making a nice gel with real strawberries in to pour on top. He did this, and let the whole thing set in the fridge. He'd turn the leftover juices into a sauce. He did so, and left it simmering on the stove. Onto the soup.

He could tell by the smell in the air that liz was doing a broccoli and Stilton soup, and that Roger was making carrot cake. He smiled. He was glad he didn't go close to home. Surely, points for experimenting? Right? I mean, a crab soup? He cooked some live crabs in the oven to kill them, then got the meat out of the legs for the soup. In a saucepan he added tomato passata, double cream, chicken broth, fresh chives, salt, pepper, paprika, chilli, white onion, onion powder and the crab. He let it cook, simmering away, as he got onto the penne and garlic bread.

He'd made garlic bread a million times. He could do it with his eyes closed. In two minutes he had sliced open a ciabatta, made a garlic butter, spread it on thickly, added fresh chives on top and chucked it in the oven. He had half an hour left. Plenty of time to make an arrabbiata. He cooked the penne in boiling water in a saucepan. He drained it and added it to his arrabbiata sauce. The chicken was still cooking in the oven. No problem. We have 15 minutes. Oh, and Roger's burnt his soup. Of course he didn't know that, but Freddie had made tomato soup a million times. That soup was burnt as hell. 

The chicken was done after five more minutes. He tossed it in the pasta and sauce mix and got to plating it up with ten minutes left. He carefully poured the soup into five bowls, making sure each bowl had five pieces of crab. He sprinkled fresh chives on top and soup was good to go. The pasta was evenly distributed into pasta bowls, with Parmesan dusted over it, each served with two 5x5 cm thick pieces of garlic bread. He got the cheesecake out of the fridge and thank the lord, it had set nicely. He cut it up into six pieces, putting a nice big piece onto each plate. He drizzled the remaining sauce over each slice and he was done. Just in time. "4...3...2...1!!! Step away from your dishes!" Elton called.

Brian was presenting first. He'd done a chicken and noodle soup, followed by a classic spaghetti Bolognese with a side of garlic bread like Freddie, and finished with a lemon drizzle cake. He'd done a good job overall, but the cake was dry as he'd forgotten a sauce. Liza next. Broccoli and Stilton soup, with chicken carbonara served with a side of roasted broccoli, and a sticky chocolate cake with chocolate sauce. She'd done fantastic. Freddie was next. He presented his dishes. He saw the curve of Jer's lip turn up in a smile when she realised he'd made cheesecake just for her. He knew Elton loved his penne arrabbiata. Judy seemed to love crab soup. "This is absolutely amazing all around. The flavour of the crab soup is so beautiful and spicy. The penne arrabbiata is powerful but it doesn't take the spotlight. The cheesecake is sweet, it melts in your mouth, and that is the best strawberry sauce I have ever had. Well done Freddie."

The others applauded him as he walked back to his stall. He smiled thanks to them. He didn't pay attention to Phoebe or Roger's dishes. His head was clouded with nervousness. No idea why, it's not like they were winning anything. Were they? Elton hadn't mentioned that part.

The five judges needed time to discuss who the winner would be. The five contestants walked outside and got some fresh air. "Your cheesecake looked to die for." Roger told him. "Really?" He smiled. "Hell yeah. And that pasta could definitely make you win. Well done Fred. You know, Elton was really nervous to let you in the kitchen, what with the baby. I could see how nervous he was whenever he glanced over at you during the cooking time."

"Oh. I didn't even notice. I kept focus on my dishes." Freddie leant on Roger, who stroked his hair. They were called back in a few moments later. They all sat on stools in a line infront of the judges. Elton cleared his throat.

"With some careful consideration, we have decided on a first, second and third place. I realise I didn't talk to you about prizes." Oh so you do win something. "Third place will receive a goody bag along with a cooking magazine that has some useful tips with cooking. Second place recieves a medal, a goody bag and Mary berry's signed book. First place will receive a trophy, £250 in cash, a goody bag and their name and photo will be put into the local Sun newspaper." The teenagers murmured excitedly.

"We are delighted to announce that third place goes to... brian!" Brian smiled and stood up to receive his prize. The others clapped and cheered. "Second place goes to....Liza!" Another round of cheering as Liza received her award. "Now is the moment you've all been waiting for. First place. Our winner is.... FREDDIE!" Freddie gasped and put his hands across his mouth. The teenagers erupted into applause and cheering. He couldn't stop grinning as he stood up and got his reward. He looked over at his mama. She was near tears smiling, and she clapped loudest of all. 

"Well done!" Liza hugged him. He smiled and thanked her, feeling brian hug him from behind.

He loved his friends so much.