Trapped

A bird hits her office window, startling her out of her chair, "my god!" Vera sighs in exhaustion as the loud sound brought her back to reality. She's been sucked into her work for a good few hours now, so dedicated to completing all of her work that same day that she didn't even bother checking the time.

Vera drops her pen and paper and goes to search her desk for her coffee, grabbing that before turning herself in the direction of the clock that was placed above her door. 5:01 PM. 

Vera groans in frustration, walking over to her office window which happened to have a breathtaking view of the city, it was the only thing that ever kept her sane. "You've done it again, Vera. You stayed back at work and..." she runs a hand over her face, finishing her sentence out loud, "overworked."

She slams her mug down and begins to pack up quicker than ever before, failing to notice the man in the neat grey suit standing at her door, leaning his shoulder up against the doorframe. "Knock knock," Vera jumps up, dropping her books, "ah, sorry... didn't mean to scare you."

"Goodness, Patrick!" Vera glances his way in shock as she tucks her loose strands of hair behind an ear, he was quick to kneel down beside her. "Please don't ever do that again," she reminds. They both continue to pick up the books with smiles playing on their faces, though it was obvious that Vera was sharing a not-so-genuine one.

When it finally came to the last book, they both go to grasp it, and that ended in Vera accidentally brushing her delicate hand up against the back of his, "sorry." She was quick to get up and pull away.

"No need to be," Wilson smiles gently, getting up before handing in the last book, "I'm guessing that you're usually the last one to leave... hence you thought you were alone."

"Uh yeah," Vera nods hurriedly as she looks down at the ground, "listen, Patrick, I gotta go but it was very nice to finally hear your voice," she starts to walk past him. "No one ever talks to me so it was very nice of you to do that," by the time they both walk out of the office, Patrick closing it after her, Vera began to pace ahead.

"Hey! wait-" Patrick walks after her, finally landing at her side. "Since we can't really-," they divert their attention to one of the elevators as it opens, they both stop for a moment before stepping on in, "since we can't really talk right now, I was thinking maybe we can go out and talk some other time... maybe over a cup of coffee?" he offers, blindly pushing a button as his eyes wouldn't dare to break their first form of eye contact.

Vera feels herself blush at his offer, she tries to play it off by rubbing her neck, "I mean, I-"

"The least I could do for almost making you drop your coffee is buy you another." They start to hear an odd screeching noise before the elevator began to move slower than usual, it was a while until it came to a complete stop.

The coworkers didn't really think much of it as it was an elevator stop like any other, but once they notice that the doors had yet to open, they turn to look at each other with wide eyes. It all happened so suddenly, they almost didn't know how to react, "...is it?"

"It can't be!" Patrick mutters, repeatedly pushing the door button that was also found in the box. After no response from any of the buttons, he gives up on them, easily slipping off his suit jacket to reveal the tight white dress shirt he was wearing under it. It was the kind that perfectly outlined every important area of his torso, from the shoulder down to the hard bicep.

Once that was discarded, he tried his best to pry open the door, in hopes that they weren't trapped in between floors. Because she felt helpless, Vera drops her books and goes to grasp the other door, "Vera stand back, this is danger-,"

"We aren't going to get anywhere if you don't let me help," Vera interrupts, crouching down as she pulls the door towards her, "now pull." Patrick hesitates but eventually nods, tugging at the other door. 

It wasn't long until they slightly began to move the tight doors apart. They only made little progress but it would be useless to continue as it was clear to see that they were stuck between two floors, "now what." Patrick breathes, picking his suit up and off the floor, lastly throwing it over his shoulder.

"I still have service," Vera says after going to check her phone.

"Well, yeah... that's great actually," Patrick says with a grin, his arms resting at his sides. "Do you have anyone's number?" He goes to stand next to her.

"Yeah, Vanessa's," Vera informs, "but she called in sick today, I doubt she'll be able to come in."

"That's okay," Patrick sighs, pulling out his phone, "I have a number you can call."

"Okay, go ahead," Vera hands him her phone as he writes in a number, giving it back to her the moment he finished creating a new contact. Before she could hit call, he stops her.

"Wait."

"What?" Vera looks up.

"That's my number," he answers innocently, taking her phone back.

"Patrick!" she laughs, playfully punching his shoulder.

"What? You'll need it for when we go out-" she punches him again, wiping the smirk off his face, "Ow- look, I'm sorry, I'll call Jake now okay?!" They both laugh as Patrick dials in another number. 

The phone rings out about three times before someone picks up, hello?

"Hey Jake," Patrick looks down at the ground as he holds the phone to his ear.

Hey! New number?

"No, just calling off of Vera's," Patrick mumbles. "Jake, listen I'm... we're stuck on the elevator back at work and we need you to send someone over."

The elevator? How? 

"It stopped out of nowhere, I-I don't know."

Okay. I'll call a team over there to help you out, it could take about an hour or longer for them to arrive.

"What? Why?" 

The only ones that we can get in contact with are out of town.

Patrick watches Vera as she goes to sit on the ground,  "alright, fine that works. Just please tell them to hurry."

He soon wraps up the call, letting out a deep sigh. "So what's the matter?" Vera asks immediately, taking her phone as Patrick offers it back to her.

"He'll call a team over but it can take about an hour for them to get here," Patrick rubs his shoulder as he sits against the same wall as Vera, "you'll have to cancel whatever you had today... I noticed you were in a rush earlier."

"Oh, well yeah I just wanted to get home," Vera admits, "I don't have anywhere to be today though so you don't have to worry about that."

"So, you were rushing because..." Patrick tilts his head back as he thinks it all through, eventually coming up with an answer, "you wanted to get away from me?"

They both laugh, "well, that's... partially true."

"You seem pretty comfortable with me now though." Patrick points out.

"That's because I am... oddly," Vera smiles as she looks over at him, only to find him closely observing her. The temperature of the elevator began to fall drastically the moment it stopped, and Patrick couldn't help but notice Vera already trying to warm herself up.

"This'll help," Patrick simply says, picking his suit jacket from off of his lap and wrapping it around her, "I got it for the cold weather."

"Thank you, but what about-"

"I'll be okay, please take my jacket." 

"Thank you," Vera giggles as she feels her face flush red, holding his jacket over her as she begins to lean up against him.

Soon enough, silence began to fall over them. The fabric of Patrick's jacket was soft to the touch, and that, along with his scent, was what put her to sleep with ease. He grins at the sight of her in such a vulnerable state, still surprised at how quickly he was able to gain her trust. 

After a few more minutes of waiting, Patrick finds himself starting to doze off as well, slowly but surely he lowers his head on top of hers, lastly allowing his heavy eyelids to fall.