Masquerade - Part 2

Trigger Warning

The final day rolled by and Vera had found herself running late to the manor, three days of parties were just enough to wear her out completely.

She dashes up the steps of the home while holding up her dress, fixing up her hair as she arrives at the grand front door.

"Welcome back," Patrick's brother greets, opening the door for her. Vera nods and smiles weakly at him before making her way to the bar, hoping to spot Peter somewhere in that area.

After not answering the question she had asked him last night, she felt desperation take over and felt as if she would go crazy without any real answers. She planned on taking Peter's mask off for him that night, and if she needed to force it, she would.

Once she had asked around for him, finding it odd that everyone laughed after she told them his name and described his costume in great detail, she finally finds herself going toward the door of the garden as it was her only hope of finding the man that she effortlessly fell for.

What a stupid event, she thinks to herself as she charges out the door, searching around the garden, looking in every nook and cranny of the place for any sort of clue.

Vera eventually feels exhaustion take her whole, and with that, she begins to make her way to the door. If he really felt the same way about her, he would have arrived on the last day and been looking for her the way that she had been doing this entire time.

She sighs audibly, feeling her eyes swell in sadness and disappointment, but suddenly she is forced back into a pair of arms, tugged into the darkest corner of the outdoors. Gasping and yelling, she tries her hardest to set herself free from the tight hold, "LET ME GO!" She finally mutters out, feeling her tears stream out uncontrollably.

Vera hears heavy breathing coming from behind her, feeling the person's grip on her loosen only slightly, "did I scare you?" A deep voice says, "I didn't mean to scare you."

She turns around abruptly at the person who had grabbed her, still in his arms she takes in who it was, "Peter?!" Vera murmurs, her hateful glare softening as she looks into his eyes.

"Yeah," he says. The tall, masked man lets her go completely, sadly watching as Vera backs away from him in shock.

"You're talking," Vera's eyes widen, "but I don't recognize your voice."

Peter chuckles, "you were expecting Patrick, weren't you?" He says, coming up to her, welcoming her back into his arms only for Vera to back away further, her hands resting on her reddened upper arms, "what's the matter?"

"You hurt me," Vera shakes her head at him, "you grabbed me hard... and you lied about being mute!" She tells him angrily, "who are you, Peter?"

"Oh come on, Vera," Peter tells her, "I didn't mean it that way... and besides, this whole event is secretive anyhow. I don't know much about you the same way you don't know much about me."

Vera huffs at him and turns away, looking up into the bright moon which was partly clouded over that night, "am I... not who you expected?" Peter inquires after a moment of silence, Vera turns to him at his words.

"I'm sorry to do this Peter," she begins to approach him slowly, storming to him once he had been caught off guard.

"You-,"  Peter starts to yell, falling to his knees once Vera had the advantage over him, pushing him over to the soil and holding him tight in a headlock. She then goes for the opportunity and rips off the man's mask, exposing his face that had serious, permanent burn marks all along the upper part of it, "what have you done?!"