CHAPTER 16:

"She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her away, she adjusted her sails." - Elizabeth Edwards

"I'm so achy." Delilah complains, taking a seat at the counter in front of Luke. "Never again will I take part in something like that."

"Yeah, I figured. Do you need ice?" He asks, pouring her a cup of coffee.

"Nah, they're completely numb, actually."

"I don't know if that's good or bad."

"Me neither. Can I have a donut? Please? Please please please give me a donut?!" She begs. Luke chuckles, placing a donut on a plate in front of her.

Before she can take a bite, though, Jess shows up at the bottom of the stairs, pausing when he sees her.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"Good morning..." She says awkwardly. Jess nods, giving her a smile. "Well I have to get to school."

"Yeah, me too. Wanna walk together?"

"Always." She agrees, struggling to stand. Jess is at her side in seconds, helping her to stand and pressing a kiss to her temple.

"What the hell just happened?" Luke questions as the pair leave. Lorelai takes a seat in front of him, watching Jess and her daughter leave together.

"What are you talking about?"

"They seem closer than normal."

"They do?"

"They're together, finally." Ty interrupts, sitting beside Lorelai with a small smile.

"They're what?!" Lorelai shouts, falling off her stool.

---

"So... Delilah, Ty said something interesting yesterday." Luke says as Delilah walks in for work the next morning, punching in and putting on her apron.

"Oh yeah? Was it about rust again, I swear sometimes I think he's going insane, then I remember the rust experiments in the kitchen."

"What? No, he said you're dating Jess."

"I mean, yeah, sorta... we didn't really make it official, though."

"Lilah!" Jess greets, grabbing her hand and pulling her upstairs, much to Luke's confusion. Delilah smiles slightly as they enter the apartment and Jess's lips are immediately on hers, his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Hi." He says sweetly once they've pulled apart. Her hands are tangled in his hair and his hands are on her back, keeping her close.

"Hey..." She mutters against his lips, pulling him close again. Before she can deepen the kiss, though, the door opens. Delilah jumps back immediately, separating herself from the boy as Luke walks in.

"Hey, Lilah, Caesar needs you downstairs." He says. Delilah smiles awkwardly, rushing down the stairs whilst Luke shuts the door behind her.

"You are not to touch that girl, understand?" Luke asks. Jess smirks slightly, rolling his eyes.

"We're together, Luke. What'd you want me to do?"

"Nothing. There will be ground rules with this, Jess."

"We've been friends for nearly a year now and you're just now getting upset? Next time I'll hang a sock on the door, alright?"

"There will be no hanging of socks on the door in my house!"

"I was kidding, Luke."

"It isn't funny. Sit Down."

"What?"