cats and dogs (1) ✧ various

[clubbing with your favourite genshin characters]

6:01 ─●──────── 38:05

◁   II   ▷

tw;

mentions of alcohol consumption (the reader doesn't drink any)

a large party is being held in liyue harbour under suspicious circumstances.

kaeya, diluc and you have been chosen to represent the city of freedom, mondstadt -- and to also investigate the situation.

to your surprise and your companions' displeasure, you see more than a few familiar faces.

''Remember. We are only going to this so-called club on solely business-related terms. Stay on your guard at all times... Especially you, Kaeya."

You swiftly nodded at the wine tycoon's words, while the man standing beside you sighed, a smirk written on his face.

"Do you really not trust me that much, Diluc?" He put a hand on his chest and gestured to you. "I'm sure our partner right here believes that can follow instructions without fault."

Diluc heavily sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He could already feel the imminent headache that he was bound to receive from Kaeya's antics. Before he could lash out at Kaeya, you hurriedly reassured him that the Cavalry Captain wasn't bothering you, much to Kaeya's delight.

Shaking his head, Diluc let his hand fall from his face as he adjusted the cuffs of his suit.

"Stop pestering them, Kaeya. Let's keep moving." He looked up at the considerably flashy building up ahead. "We're pretty much here."

You straightened up, patting down your outfit and making sure none of the grime you could have picked up on your way here was on you. 

However, an unexpected hand skimmed across your back, making you jolt in surprise. 

"Don't worry, I was just getting some dust off.~ " Kaeya hummed, retracting his hand with a slight smirk. "We wouldn't want your striking outfit tainted."

You sighed. "Sure you did, Captain."

"Do you not trust me as well? How you wound me, my friend!"He reeled back in mock betrayal, a barely covered smug expression on his face. Diluc, looking dishevelled, muttered curses under his breath as the building grew closer.

"Now is the time I question why Jean let you come with us." 

"I'm sure Acting Grand Master Jean didn't have any ill intent, Master Diluc."  You promptly spoke.

"Didn't I tell you not to call me..." He exhaled deeply through his nose. "... Nevermind."

 ✦

The building was filled with noise and a variety of bustling groups from different regions and nations.

It was overwhelming but Kaeya seemed to welcome the atmosphere with open arms, seeming content with being there. Diluc Ragnvindr on the other hand appeared to become stiffer as time ticked by. 

Thanks to Kaeya's skills in convincing and Diluc's place of power as the owner of Dawn Winery, you and your two companions managed to take a reserved table close to the suspected group.

So far, all they seemed to do was drink and drink and drink...

Sweatdropping, you turned to face your group. Welcomed with the sight of Kaeya who seemed to be enjoying a glass of wine and the disappointed face of Diluc, you lifted an eyebrow.

"I tried to stop him but... to no avail." Ragnvindr shook his head, sighing for what seemed like the fortieth time tonight. A cup of untouched wine rested against his hand.

The Cavalry Captain smoothly swirled his drink in his hand and clicked his tongue. "I still can't believe you drink... grape juice instead of wine."

"Master Diluc has his own preferences and so do you, Captain. Let's settle on that thought." You had grown quite exasperated at their senseless bickering as you tried to subtly keep an eye on the groups of suspects.

The said group was still, continuously drinking their minds into oblivion, you had thought before a member suddenly stood up, walking to the restroom with practiced ease.

You narrowed your eyes, watching as the stranger didn't stumble on his steps and seemed perfectly sober for a man who had drunk himself silly. 

Turning to your companions, you discerned that they had their eyes trained on the man as well. 

"I have to go to the restroom, excuse me," Diluc spoke loud enough for the group to hear as he stood up and slipped into the crowds.

"There he goes." Kaeya leaned back in his seat, drink still in hand. "Knowing him, we'll be over with this in a matter of minutes... What a shame, I wanted to enjoy this party a bit more."

Shaking your head, you rocked the cup of water in your hand - following the redhead's figure across the room until he reached the restroom. 

"There's no reason to not enjoy this party after our mission is complete, yes?" You turned to Kaeya, who grinned at your words. 

"You read my mind like it's nothing, comrade." 

... That did not sound like Kaeya.

Freezing at the familiar voice, you whipped around. A pair of ocean blue eyes and a cunning smile greeted you.

"Missed me?" The ginger quipped, hands crossed in front of him loosely. 

Recollecting yourself, you nodded. "It's been a while, Childe."

The Cavalry Captain subtly narrowed his gaze at the newcomer. It seemed as though his colleague had more connections around Teyvat than he thought you did. 

After all, Kaeya knew this man was one of the infamed fatui harbingers. You could recognise the face and mask anywhere. He hid his smirk behind his glass, maintaining sharp eye contact with the Snezhnayan, who gave an equally thorny stare back. This... was going to get interesting.

"... Care to inform me who this is."

'Oh, for the love of archons and all that is above.' You froze, grimacing at the sparks that flew between your captain and the harbinger. 'Master Diluc is behind you isn't he.'

965