The Truth is Out

~Renae~

"How could you?" She forces the words out sharing glances between the two of us.

Adara takes a step towards her quivering figure in the doorway, only for Alirra to run out like a startled deer.

I stand from my chair and push my way through the door– giving Adara a glance saying both 'stay here' and 'this is all your fault'.

"Alirra! Ali!" I yell and run after, not caring about the Winter court inhabitants I push out of the way or the stares I receive.

I stalk just behind her, surrounded by a crowd of unseeing eyes as she sobs into her palms. I forget that she grew up here as she walks these streets blindly– knowing exactly where to go. Any attempt of reaching out to her is blocked by another fae's body.

Eventually, I follow her out of the crowds of the village and as she reaches the gentle trickle of the Winter court river that magic prevents from freezing over.

She spins around the second the toes of her boots reach the water edge, her eyes reddened and sore– clear pain behind the glint of tears overflowing down her cheeks.

I want to fall to my knees and beg for forgiveness, tell her all I know, but I also want to throw Adara further under the bus for her part in breaking Ali's heart. That wouldn't make her feel better though.

"You lied to me. I asked you who you and Feyre were talking about, and you lied. Why?" Her voice doesn't wobble, her face doesn't falter from the stone cold exterior.

"We've just met, you wouldn't-"

"I wouldn't be able to handle it, right?" She bites.

"No, Ali- Well yes, actually. You don't seem to be handling it well now." Her eyebrow flickers higher up her forehead and I know I've said the wrong thing.

"I just found out, in a matter of seconds, that the woman who raised me, lied to me, that I have a mate, who also lied. I just found out Adara is Daemati and read my mind whenever she liked, that this whole time, you knew we were mates and decided not to tell me. I found out that Adara can shatter people minds if she pleases, that my 'mate' told everyone in the Night court and my family before myself. Need I go on? I have more."

"I am sorry, Ali."

"I don't care. Leave." I stand and stare at the heartbroken girl before me– the strong female who can stand there and not let her untroubled exterior waver.

"Go home, Renae!"

~Alirra~

Of course it was me. Of course we're mates. Just my luck that she wouldn't tell me– that she'd believe I couldn't handle the information.

Don't get me started on Adara– the woman who raised me, who I loved like a mother, a sister and a father all in one– she just lied to us so easily for our whole lives. She chose now to tell someone, and not me, no, my 'mate' who is also a liar.

I'm not going back to the cottage. I'm also not going back to the Night court, even if I found a way to that didn't involve tiring myself through winnowing or climbing the bases of those debilitating mountains.

I needed a place to stay and I knew the exact place– the exact person.

~~~

"Ali? Is that you? I thought you'd left for the Night court?" Alek smiles despite the surprise arrival and invites me in. My neighbour might've been a bad choice considering the cottage is around 20 steps away, but Alek has always cared about me and invites me inside whenever they see me.