'Til Death Parts Us

"So are the two of you fucking yet, or..."

"Cas! Shut up for Cauldron's sake." Ren mutters the latter and I perch myself on the arm of the chair Ren sits in, as every chair is taken.

They each arrived moments ago- howling as we emerged from the same room. Cassian still won't leave it alone, giving us knowing glances every now and then.

"How were the king and queen after we left?" I ignore the vulgar comment from the male.

"As if nothing happened." Rhys replied. Many eyes rolled and faces scrunched into a sneer at the memory of Iagan.

"What was that all about?" Nesta doesn't hesitate to ask the question everyone is wanting to know. Heads spin to face Ren- awaiting her response.

I feel her body tense beside me and I send a wave of reassurance down the bond, letting her know she doesn't need to explain herself if she doesn't want to. Her family wouldn't judge whether she answered or not.

"Iagan and Ginerva are- my parents. They kicked me out of their home years ago and I never planned on returning. Cleary I should've stayed away." Tears line her eyes but she holds them back from trickling down her cheeks. My heart aches, wanting to pull her close.

"If it wasn't for his dogs, Az and I would've killed him for what he did." Cassian mutters.

"What good would that've done? We'd all be banished ; never again invited to another event-" Rhys tries.

"Good riddance." Nesta mumbles and nods and mumbles of agreement radiate around the room.

"It's my family's tradition. My mother would've wanted each of us there." At the mention of his mother, they back down.

"Why were you banished, Ren?" Nesta questions her again, followed by not-so-subtle glares from everyone in the room. Even I don't know this story and as intriguing as it is I don't think she'd want to share it so openly. Especially not after tonight's events.

"Ali, I'll escort you to your room." She looks up and smiles before mumbling down the bond, get me out of here.

Cassian whistles as we leave and the others join- hollering loud enough we still hear as we wander through the halls.

We stop between both her door and mine, turning to meet each other's eyes. The darkness blending with her irises.

We spend a few more seconds in that moment of silence, before her lilting voice whispers, "I kissed a female. That's why they banished me all those years ago." My heart breaks as a single tear falls slowly down her blushed cheeks. Yet another reason for me to slit their throats or watch as Cassian and Az do it. Either sound fine.

"Ren-"

"You say 'I'm sorry' and I'll have to kill you." She chokes on a laugh and another tear slips from her eyes. Instead of my useless empathetic words, I pull her into a hug and her face buries into my neck.

~~~

"If you insist you aren't fucking, do you at least feel the bond?" Cassian still hasn't left the whole Ren and I topic alone since Ginerva caught us holding hands in the centre of their hall full of Night court and Montesere fae.

I give Ren a look silently asking if it'd be ok to tell them all now- even though I'm the one with problems when it comes to the bond.

"Yes, the bond is there." They each shout and praise us, which would feel amazing if I were comfortable with said bond. I want to be, I really do. The heightened feelings and emotions from the bond are amazing whenever I'm in her presence, but it still feels forced and fake. Like it isn't me who finds her attractive, but the bond, the Cauldron or fate.