Montesere Part 2

~Alirra~

I want to reach out to her clenched fist and wrap it around my own. I want us to march over there, proudly, and get this over with. If only those weren't her parents and we weren't mates, that would be very possible.

The desperation glows in her eyes, indicating how much she wants to saunter over to Montesere's rulers like she owns their lives. We're running out of time as the king and queen start introducing their soldiers and shaking hands with Cassian and Azriel. Rhys and Feyre both giving us quick glances- pleas.

My heart starts pounding at the pressure and I look around for any possible exits that I could whisk Ren and I out of. I need to do something. I need to dig deeper. Familiar aches in my gut and a pounding in my head is all I seem to find.

Her eyes meet mine and the spark of confidence is slowly dying behind her eyes and tears are beginning to form- more pleas from the Night court, my heart pounds in my ears and then I find it.

A faint tether- a bridge almost- joining my soul and a familiar darkness at the other end with gentle glistening stars embedded inside the shadows— her shadows. Renae. I take a deep breath and prepare for what I'm about to do.

I mentally take ahold of the tether and attempt to gently tug on it like she had done almost an hour ago. It's intriguing lights and shades tame my quickening heart and the restless butterflies in the deepest parts of my gut that no sketches have ever cured. Holding the very mating bond in my mental grasp calms me to the bone and I gather the entire feeling and send gentle waves down the bond, praying this will work.

She inhales sharply and realisation flashes through her eyes along with lust, happiness and desperation. It's all replaced immediately with pride and she straightens her posture preparing for anything that might happen.

I attempt to match her whole exterior built entirely out of confidence and peace, which I now take full responsibility for, but nobody could match up to her.

As we approach, Rhys extends a hand in our direction, "and this is my healer Alirra. And Renae, my second in command." At the mention of the familiar name, the king and queen flash their eyes in our directions at the same time we stop before them and lean into a bow.

Shock is plastered on their expressions but they still bow in return. Renae doesn't falter from her hard exterior and simply tells them it's nice to see them. I choose to complement their home but their attention is elsewhere and they don't hear a word I say.

"How are you?" The queen's voice doesn't wobble or strain from any emotion. Renae only gives her a nod as if that's all she has to give- no interest in saying anything.

"I thought you weren't to return here." The king's voice echos around the whole room and gathers the attention of every soul.

"I think the agreement was I can't live in Montesere." She adds extra force to the word 'live' causing a shiver to run down my spine that nobody important notices.

"I believe what I agreed on was not seeing your wretched face again." He looks down at her like every Montesere inhabitant has done so far. She doesn't let his words get to him and I can't imagine what she must've endured to be able to not react to such a comment.

"Nice to see you too," she smirks, then, "please tell me you're happy to see me? No?" She tuts. Aiming the question at her mother who looks a little too distressed by the situation to reply.

"What ever will I do now?" Sarcasm rolls thickly from her assertive exterior- which she clearly gets from her father. Everyone in the room glances to the person beside them, raising their eyebrows- questioning whether they know what's going on. Rhys and Feyre are the only people who don't look confused about the scene being made at such a glorified event.