Late

You laid on the bed, a book laid on your lap. You knew it was late but you didn't bother looking at the clock or you would be crushed by emotions. Mycroft was late again, the moon slightly peering into the room, sending a strip of light that illuminated a painting. This was the third time this week I had not returned until very late without explanation. You wished to ask him why he was always so late but every time he came in you didn't ask, seeing his tired face and fuzzy eyes.

You moved downstairs and listened as the bedroom door opened. You closed your eyes slightly, watching Mycroft quietly get changed, taking the book from your lap and getting into bed.

"I know you are awake" Mycroft's quiet voice said. You opened your eyes fully to see into Mycroft's, he looked tired.

You sat up and looked at him, sighing quietly. "Third time this week" you said. "and it is Thursday" Mycroft shuffled himself in bed, looking up at you. "Not even a text to let me know you will be home late"

"I do not do texts" Mycroft started.

You rolled your eyes. "Even an email, a quick phone call telling me that you will not need dinner and will not come home late" you sighed.

"You know I am busy (y/n)" he said.

"You could at least tell me when you get home" you said. "Is that too much to ask My?"

Mycroft looked away, he regretted having to work so late most days, missing quality time with you. "I will make sure that I do" Mycroft said.

"Thank you" you said quietly, moving in the bed that you lay on your side, your face toward your husband.

"Saturday, if everything goes to plan I will have an evening off" Mycroft after a while.

"What were you thinking of doing?" you asked.

"An evening together" Mycroft said.

"That is all I want" you said quietly, snuggling closer into Mycroft.

"We can meet for lunch and then I will finish my work before I come home" Mycroft said.

"How about the Sushisamba Covent Garden?" you asked, "I heard at work it is good"

"Wonderful" Mycroft said, kissing your head and stroking your back with his thumb.

"Good night Mycroft" you said, closing your eyes.

Mycroft murmured something and you fell asleep, wrapped up with each other, content.