Chapter 5 - This is Because of You

Aina looked the woman dead in the eyes before taking a long drag of her cigarette. The woman before her was old but very similar to Aina. They had the same facial shape, eye color, and their bodies were even similar. The two looked at each other with hate. They were surrounded by well-kept furniture and plants. The house was extravagant for what it was, even if it was small. "What are you saying?" The older woman said. The younger woman took another drag before puffing out the smoke that was trapped in her lungs.

"I'm saying it's your fault that the (L/N) family is in such deep levels of shit." The girl replied bluntly, as the older woman huffed. "What happened on television yesterday.... It was (Y/N) wasn't it? The child you got rid of?" Aina said as she snuffed out her cigarette on the wooden coffee table not caring that there was no ash try. The older woman tensed at the name but didn't respond. "You know, your the reason that you have nobody to see you to your grave." The woman let out a dark chuckle. "I'm all that's left for you."

"That child was the spawn of satan. I had to." The older woman said glaring at the younger woman. "How could I let her wander around with my son?"

"Yeah and because of that deal you don't have a son," Aina said crossing her arms. "Because of that deal, I had to bury my only sibling." Abruptly the phone started to ring as the older woman opened her mouth. Aina rolled her eyes. "By all means..." The older woman then picked up the phone.

"Hello?" After a short quiet pause, the woman started to talk again. "Yes, this is the (L/N)s?" The other end talked to her as the woman's skin paled. "No, I will not take her." She responded bluntly. "She is no granddaughter of mi-"

"Your burning bridges," Aina said glaring daggers. Suddenly, the younger girl took the phone from her. "Hello?" She asked as she pulled out a cigarette from her jacket. Slowly she lit it as the person on the line started to talk.

"We have (Y/N). I was just trying to see if someone would take her again?" The clearly male voice said confused. "She went missing for ten years and we only have the grandparents on record. Who are you?"

"Aina (L/N)." The woman responded as she took her cigarette out of her mouth. "I'm the.... Daughter... of who you are speaking with." Aina looked over and saw a cocky smile on her mother's lips. She scowled and adjusted her phone.

"Oh, well, could you come to the station? We need to know more about the family." Aina let out a short laugh.

"Be glad I'm the one who took over then. Mother dearest isn't useful for much." Aina said as she met her mother's gaze. Pure hatred passed between the two. "Since it's just me and her, you got a choice. I'm not going to force myself into (Y/N)'s life, I would be a good home for her, but on the other hand, there is mother dearest, which won't help you at all. Who do you want?"

"Could I speak to both of you?" He asked on the other end.

"Probably not. I'm not going if she's coming, so that's the choice." Aina then put it on speakerphone as she took a drag from her cigarette.

"Could one of you just come and answer questions?" He asked, losing patience.

"I will not be associated with that child!" The older woman suddenly yelled as Aina glared at her. Both clearly hated each other to the core. Not wanting to be in each other's presence for more than what they already had been.

"You're associated with a lot, not particularly good." She spat back as the male on the other end stayed silent. "I'll be right over, officer. I have better things to do than talk to the rat before me anyway." With that, the woman hung up the phone and stood. She could feel her mother's similar eyes bore into the back of her skull.

"If you go to that child, you will no longer be welcome here." The woman hissed out.

"Wow, you really don't want anyone at your funeral," Aina said as she took her cigarette out of her mouth. "That's not really a punishment for me though. Have fun in hell." She said as she walked away from the steaming older woman. The older woman's home was a small fancy cabin, but it was slowly going into disrepair. Aina thought it was funny to watch as her mother clung to tiny pieces of her old life. It started with the death of her brother. It was devastating, but she couldn't have done anything. At the time she was just reaching adulthood. She never got to see (Y/N) or her brother after the marriage. Everything just seemed to slowly fall apart like a Jenga game. Although, Aina did hear the rumors about what was happening. Even a few conversations between the two opposing sides, her mother and brother. She didn't know who to side with until the death of her brother. The young woman thought it was a dream at first. There was no way that he was gone with every bit of the family he tried to make, yet their bodies were there as proof. The old hag didn't even report the three-year-old missing, Aina had to do that herself. Seemed she wanted to hide it for some reason. Why? Well, it's simple.