fall into my arms

Felicity looked up at her ceiling, unblinking. The room had once been a children's room, surely, because there was a border along the ceiling of small, cartoon birds.

The ceiling was dotted with clear, yellowed stars. Glow in the dark, actually. Felicity once got hit in the forehead with one at night.

They weren't glowing right now. Of course they weren't, it was midday, duh. They weren't "glow in the day" stars.

It was Sunday, nearing the afternoon. Sunday was her least favorite day of the week. Her uncle would go to church, as would everyone else in the town apparently, which left Felicity in her room, doing nothing for four hours until she heard the door downstairs open.

It was still only eleven AM. Felicity liked to get up early, because she liked to see the sunrise (which, in her opinion, was much more majestic than the sunset). The only problem was that it left Felicity with several hours of no company but herself, which she didn't particularly enjoy. She was never good alone, because she'd start to think and then over think and she'd get a headache! And she hated headaches. She hadn't gotten one ever since she got to Wakemastopilus, so she was hoping that it would stay like that. Her headaches were the worst headaches.  

She also didn't have a cellphone. Bianca told her before that she would text during service, because she hated it. Felicity wished she had a phone to text with. Her uncle never got her anything fun!

Just when she was about to crazy, her legs twitching from inactivity and her hands covering her eyes, a rapping on her window startled her. Could this be? Her own pebble-throwing prince? She scurried over to her window, excited, and threw aside her thick curtains, letting in the daylight.

She stared into the face of Intina, who looked rather bored. He mouthed something, and then tapped on the glass again. Felicity wasn't even really sure how he climbed the tree outside of her window in the first place; there were no branches for at least ten feet. She unhooked the lock on her window and swung it open. The boy thankfully hopped in, picking a twig from his hair in the process.

"Thanks," he said after he settled onto her bed, running a hand over his head. "It's really getting cold out, you know? I could have died out there."

Felicity stared at him. "You're a ghost. Ghosts can't get cold!"

"I can still tell it's cold. I remember what it's like to be cold," Intina sniffed.

"Why are you here?" Felicity joined him on the bed, staring at him in interest. He shrugged. Felicity let her gaze travel down to his shoulder, then down his arms, to his scared wrists and hands. She reached over and poked one of the scars, and the skin moved easily beneath her finger like paper. They were burn marks. "Do these hurt?"

Intina ran a finger over one of his burns and shrugged, his eyes clouded. "Not really. Getting them hurt though."

Felicity nodded. Once she burnt herself with a straightener, and that was only a small mark on her finger. She couldn't imagine having both of her forearms covered in burns! "It's good that they don't hurt anymore." She flopped back onto her bed, outstretching her arms above her head. "So what are you doing here? We don't even, like, know each other." Not that I mind, she thought, gaze flickering over to his face, in profile. His nose was long on his face, but it didn't look weird on him. It made him more handsome, if anything. I was gonna go crazy if someone didn't show up!

"You're the only person who isn't at church," he said. She rolled over onto her stomach, avoiding his gaze, as he had turned to look at her. "I can't go into there, so I usually don't have anything to do. I was bored."

"Aren't you a ghost? Can't you just go places?" Felicity huffed, speaking into the crook of her elbow. Intina chuckled.

"Of course not. That's not how it works."