Just A Dream

"Hmm I'm done but I don't know how to end thi- ANGST"
- me

TRIGGER WARNINGS:
-Nightmare
-Needles
-Forced sedation
-Panic attack

-------

"The apotheosis is upon-"

Emma flinched at the sound of the gunshot, feeling pain for just a split second before...

"Kelly!"

Emma's eyes shot open as the nurse shook her. The nurse who just danced.

The heartbeat monitor next to her sped up, along with her breathing. The nurse startled and took a step back. "Ma'am-"

Emma tried to move away from her, getting tangled in both the thin blanket covering and the IV line going into her arm. "Get the fuCK AWAY FROM ME!" she yelled, though her voice was shaking.

"Kelly, if you just-"

An alarm blared through the room as her heartbeat sped up more, her mind clouded with panic. She screamed as the door opened and more people rushed into the room, though she could barely make out any faces through the blur of tears.

"It was just a drea-" the nurse tried, reaching for her arm to comfort her, though Emma wasn't having any of it.

"S-STAY BACK!" she yelled, shaking as she couldn't back up much more without falling off the bed.

The clacking of the colonel's shoes on the tile floor made her flinch, looking up with bloodshot eyes. "You asshole! You tricked me, you knew he-"

She screamed as she was pushed down again, the colonel using her elbow to hold her shoulder down as she looked at the nurse for an explanation.

"She had a nightmare, I can't get through to her."

Emma trashed in the colonel's grip, still muttering unintelligible pleas. Her bandaged leg ached, unspeakable pain shooting up her thigh like lightning with every movement. But she'd choose life over a bit of pain anytime.

"Kelly," the colonel spoke loudly, her voice firm but kind. "Ya need to calm down. We wouldn't want ya to hurt yourself."

"You fucking blue bastards!" Emma spat, still trashing enough to pull out the IV line, a small drop of blood running down her arm.

"Kelly, you've just been through something big, nightmares ain't nothing weird, ya just have to-" The colonel sighed when she just received a sob in response. "Sedate her."

Emma froze at the words, before fighting even more. "Just kill me, you cowards!" she yelled, though fear was clear in her voice as more hands moved to hold her down.

"Are you sure?" the nurse asked. "She most likely won't trust us when she wakes up."

"She doesn't trust us now, does she?!"

Emma just screamed as if she was proving the colonel's statement.

"She pulled out her IV, how can I-"

"Just stab her with the needle!"

The nurse brushed her hair from her face as she bent over Emma, her cries and pleas and screams giving her a headache.

"Fuck, she's moving too much!"

"Kelly," colonel Schaffer tried again, hoping to get through to the panicked girl's mind, taking the way her eyes focused on her as a win. "You gotta calm down. We can help ya, but ya gotta let us."

Without hesitation, the nurse took the second of silence to plunge the needle into her arm.

Emma flinched, but she didn't have enough time to really fight it as she was pulled under. "You... blue bastards..."

Colonel Schaffer got up with a sigh as she went limp, and the heartbeat monitor slowly slowed its pace.

After the colonel dismissed the guards, they stood there for a moment, observing the sleeping girl, a frown still on her face.

"I'll get the doctor," the nurse spoke up. "To make sure she didn't hurt her leg."

The colonel gave a firm nod. "Do you think we gotta tie her down? For when she wakes up?"

The nurse sighed, reinserting Emma's IV. "I don't know... I want her to be able to trust us, but I don't think her leg can take much more."

"Leave her free. But keep a sedative nearby. If she freaks out, we knock her out, and then we restrain her."

The nurse nodded, adjusting the IV line, before leaving the room, her mind wandering as she walked through the near-empty halls of the hospital.

She felt sorry for Emma. Not only did she just go through the biggest trauma of her life, but also got her name, and basically her entire life stripped from her.

No wonder she's so scared.

Making a mental note to contact the hospital's therapist, she knocked on the door of Emma's doctor.

Of course, she wasn't wrong, the nurse thinks as she enters the dark room, her blue eyes casting a dim glow over the room's interior. She just has to make sure the colonel doesn't believe her.