Kiss Me, You Coward

I tried to practice writing bigger groups of people in one scene but as you can tell I kinda gave up halfway

TRIGGER WARNINGS:
-Injury
-Waking up during surgery but it's not too graphic

-------

Emma flinched when she heard the footsteps approach the wreckage, both hands clasping the gun Paul had left next to her, a finger on the trigger, ready to aim.

What she didn't expect was to come eye to eye with her brother-in-law, and by the looks of it, he was just as surprised.

"Emma?" he asked, running towards her, a woman she recognized as Becky Barnes (of course it just had to be Becky fucking Barnes), and a few kids following him.

None of their eyes were glowing in the darkness, so she decided it was safe to assume they were human.

"Shit, Emma, what have they done to you?" Tom asked as he pulled out his phone and turned on the flashlight. Emma looked away when he shone it onto her leg, the gory mess not helping with the nausea that already made her head spin.

Becky kneeled next to her. "We have to get her out of here, Tom."

Emma tried to protest, but she couldn't even get the words out as she coughed, more blood dribbling down her chin.

She rolled her eyes at the thought of having to rely on Becky Barnes to survive.

"My professor, his whole house is like a panic room. We could go there."

"Emma, we need to go to the hospital. With the right supplies, I might be able to-"

"No no, you don't get it, he's crazy. He has a whole lab and tons of medical supplies. It's safe there."

Becky looked up at Tom, who just shrugged. The kids that stood behind them shivered in the cold. "Okay, Emma. Tom's going to carry you to your professor's house. You tell us where to go, okay?"

Emma nodded, holding back a pained whimper as she was lifted into the air. Appearing weak in front of Tom was the last thing she wanted.

"Where do-"

Emma gestured in the vague direction of the professor's bunker, trying to breathe through the blinding pain.

As the tall gates appeared in the distance, Emma could only hope the alien wearing her professor's skin had left already.

When she had led them to the lab and after giving Alexa the order to close the gates, she sat on the table in the middle of the room.

"This is amazing," Becky said. "He really does have everything; painkillers, antibiotics, even sedatives."

"Oh, Emma!" Tom started, clearly unsure what to say to her. "These are my students." He gestured at the three other kids standing next to her nephew. "Lex and Ethan, and Lex's sister Hannah. When everything started to go downhill, we decided to stick together. And you know Tim, of course."

Emma nodded, smiling at the kids.

"Now, guys, get out of here, this won't be pretty," he told the kids, holding the door open for them.

Before leaving, the little girl, Hannah, turned around. "Paul will be okay."

Emma's eyes went wide. "How do you-" But she was gone already.

"Now, Emma," Becky spoke up, putting on some blue gloves after washing her hands. "I'm just going to put you to sleep, because this will be very painful if I don't."