MONOLOGUE I

All alone, unbeknownst to anyone, the goddess granted me an audience that day, and I struck a deal with her.

It was a secret agreement: both a contract and a challenge.

I revealed the truth in my heart.

My confession elicited the sort of surprise the goddess never let show on her face.

"That's unexpected."

"But that's how it is."

She murmured, acknowledging my confession.

Having gained her understanding, I revealed my proposition.

I was only ever a fake to begin with. I understood full well I was merely her tool. But I asked her if it was at all possible to grant me just a small part of a single day during the harvest festival.

It was shameless. Arrogant.

I was fully aware of that, but I refused to simply give up. There was no turning back. If I let this chance slip away, I knew I would regret it for the rest of my life. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek, but my gaze never left her eyes.

The goddess fell silent at my request, slipping into deep thought atop her throne.

She did not know. She had no inkling of my plan. Of the betrayal I was plotting. But even so, even if it was a foolish dream that I didn't deserve, I desperately wanted to fulfill this maddening wish—

Had my plea swayed her?

She said she would accept my proposal with a condition.

It was inevitable. I never had any choice but to agree.

I acknowledged my acceptance of her terms.

"Do your best."

The goddess smiled. And then her eyes narrowed provocatively.

"And I'll enjoy the festivities as I please, too."

Naturally, I could only nod in response.

This would be a fair match.

Since I had been the one to propose the game, there would be no going back on my word even if I had to play by the rules of a goddess who could not be disobeyed.

The hands on the clock had already started moving. There was just a single thought in my heart.

Please let my wish come true...