MONOLOGUE II

I began my careful preparation.

On the day of the festival, I would only have a very limited amount of time to act. My wish needed to be fulfilled before the clock struck twelve. That meant my plans would have to be set in motion before the festival even commenced.

For starters, I requested aid from some of her followers.

First was Ottar. I sent him word of the situation by going through one of the maids. If I had reached out to him directly, it would have drawn suspicion. Even if she saw through all, it was important not to draw needless suspicion from the other followers who act as her eyes and ears.

After receiving my message, he came to speak with me in secret.

As I laid out my thoughts without varnish, he remained silent. His expression was intense as always even as he pursed his lips. It was almost cute, and a little funny.

I held in my laughter as I asked him:

"Would you please consider cooperating with me? Just one day—no, even a single instant is enough."

It had been a gamble whether he would agree, but I had reason to believe he might.

Much like how I had realized the goddess's true wish, he also sensed it. And he was always pondering what actions and what choices would serve the goddess's interests in the truest sense. Even if only subconsciously.

In this situation, my existence carried the explosive potential to completely change the goddess's future. The key to realizing the possibility that had crossed his mind at least once.

I gambled on the slimmest hope that this stone-faced warrior would come to the same conclusion.

It would be difficult to recruit anyone else.

Allen and the others would be particularly problematic. Their loyalty was reserved for the goddess alone in every possible way. Zealots like them would do everything in their power to stop me no matter what if they discovered my plan, regardless of the justification.

After a long silence during which I looked into his eyes in prayer, the boaz attendant nodded his head.

—I'm sorry.

The apology only rang out in my heart.

I hated myself for attempting to deceive both the goddess and him. But still I remained steadfast and true to my wish.