CHAPTER 2: A TEARFUL AND PAINFUL FESTIVAL EVE

Another autumn morning has arrived. This is the time of year when you can feel the sun gradually coming out later and later with every sunrise.

I set off from home and head toward The Benevolent Mistress in order to ask Syr directly about the letter from yesterday.

"Still, though, where do I even start...?" I murmur to myself while walking through the mostly empty streets.

What did she mean by a date? Not just going out to play, but a real date? Is she just playing a trick on me?

It's not like I can ask her something like that so bluntly. And for some reason, it sort of feels like I shouldn't bring it up in the first place.

I'll be far less anxious if this is all just a misunderstanding, and she tells me, "Huh? Silly Bell, getting such wild ideas just from reading the word 'date.' I'm sorry for confusing you. I didn't think you were such a child. You really are cute."

...On second thought, that would be extremely painful in its own way.

With still no idea what I should do, I peer down at the letter in my right hand. I can't help focusing on the fact that she asked me out by letter of all things, and now I'm getting oddly nervous. If that was the intended effect...then I don't think I will ever be a match for Syr.

I would never have felt like this if she had mentioned it during one of our usual chats at the tavern. It would have been like the first time we met, when she made me promise to visit. I'm sure I would've just smiled and accepted it while thinking how unfair she can be.

"...It's already been six months since then, huh...?"

I pause in the middle of the street, staring up at Babel towering in the sky. My first run-in with Syr happened on a morning just like this. It had been a bit earlier in the day. I remember the spring sun barely peeking over the city walls. Since then, the air has taken on a chill, and it's a cool, autumn sun shining down on me now.

Between then and now...how much have we changed?

"...Anyway, I should go see her. No point dwelling on it!"

Wallowing in my thoughts isn't my style. I shake my head and clench my fist.

Right, delaying things won't make anything better. Just need to be brave and push on, like an adventurer should. I like to think I've made at least a little bit of improvement since back then.

Nodding to myself, I start running through the streets, leaving my hesitation behind. I dash onto West Main Street where The Benevolent Mistress stands.

"—Mgh?!"

That's the moment someone catches me.

A single hand reaches out from the narrow alley, covers my mouth, and somehow drags me into the shadows.

I can't break free!

I'm shaken by the realization that even with my Level 4 status, I'm helpless against the grip of a single slender arm. No one notices my sudden disappearance as I'm pulled farther and farther into the dark alley.

Everything seems to happen several times faster than normal as the hand clasped around my face holds me up in the air—hey, that hurts! My face and neck feel like they're going to break at any moment!

I can't even scream because right now, my mouth is still being held shut. After shouting dozens of times in my head, I'm thrown to the ground in a deserted alleyway.

"Hgh! Wh-what wa...?!"

My head keeps spinning as I sit up. Then the moment I look up, I completely forget everything I was about to say.