CHAPTER 4: FULL PRINCESS PANIC!

The sun is reaching its peak in the sky.

A lot has happened, but I safely completed the first half of the plan.

Syr made a lunch for us, and we're sitting on a small bench away from the flow of people, resting in the shade of a tree as the leaves rustle in the breeze.

It's a light meal, probably out of consideration for the fact that we're going to end up eating more snacks while walking around the festival. But even so, it's clear she had gone all out. The meat and fried egg have a new, never-before-made seasoning, and I use every bit of the iron determination Master poured into me to say, "It's delicious!" with a beaming smile, which causes Syr to sulk a bit. I guess she can tell I forced myself to say that.

I immediately apologize, but then she starts giggling.

"Why does my cooking always end up coming out so oddly?"

"So you knew..."

"Of course. Even though you always try to hide it when I ask."

"Erk."

"I really do rack my brain to come up with ideas, though."

When we finish, Syr picks up her now-almost-empty handbag and we start walking together.

At this point, I've gotten over my reluctance at holding hands for the most part. It's still really embarrassing to look her in the eye, but the warmth I can feel in my hand is almost reassuring. I guess it's sort of like my heart is at ease?

Anyway, we keep going until we reach Central Park.

The largest open space in the city is filled with more people than I have ever seen in one spot before.

"There are the altars...The Towers of Plenty."

These four structures that had been erected for the festival have swarms of visitors—or rather worshippers—gathering around each one.

Demeter and the other goddesses are atop them.

"The goddesses of the harvest stand on the altars, right?"

"That's right. As the symbols of the festival, they receive offerings and are worshipped by the people."

A huge mass keeps crowding around the stone towers.

Each of them is waiting their turn to place a flower at the base of the closest altar and offer up their thanks to the goddess above.

Ah, so this is what genuine worship looks like.

Respectfully offering their thanks to the deities who embody the harvest season. This is the original purpose of traditional harvest festivals of yore.

"The Goddess Festival lasts for three days, and there are so many people who come at one point or another, so the goddesses sit up on those altars for them."

"Whoa, the whole time...?"

Apparently, they alternate and take turns, so it isn't like they are all present for the entire duration of the festival, but for the first day at least, all four of them are up on the altars.

I guess that just goes to show how many people gather to honor the goddesses. Demeter is simply standing there smiling as she waves to the people, drawing cheers from travelers and residents of the city alike, but some of the other goddesses are already looking groggy. Just hanging limply over the handrail like laundry set out to dry.

Still, the cheers coming from the worshippers haven't died down at all. It's amazing. If anything, the crowds seem to be enjoying the familiar scene, like this happens every year...