Catching Up

One more plot heavy chapter, with a smut chapter incoming.

-Parks 🖤

Y/N and Erwin laid in bed together catching up on their last few days. At first, Erwin didn't say much. Y/N thought he had fallen asleep because he was so still; only his back rose and fell with his breathing. But eventually, he asked Y/N how her dissection had gone. The conversation flowed with ease. Y/N noted how natural it was to fall back into place with him. In a blink, two hours had passed.

"Ryker is a spy," Erwin said out of the blue.

"Wait, what?!" Y/N tried to sit up, but Erwin's body was still laying across her and didn't budge.

"I'm not ready to get up yet," Erwin complained.

He tightened his grip on her and let the words fall. Y/N sat in a stunned silence as Erwin caught her up on what happened during her nap. She didn't know what to say.

"Y/N?" Erwin turned to her and sat up on his elbow.

"What... What the fuck?" Y/N was dumbfounded.

"I believe I said something similar," Erwin sat up. "Levi and Hange will be here soon to plan our next steps."

"Okay good." Y/N got out of bed. "I'm sure you guys will figure it out."

She smiled down at him and kissed the top of his head. She caught a glimpse of the blush he tried to hide before she began getting dressed.

This is such a mess, Y/N tried to think through her stress. It's okay. They'll handle it. They'll fix it, and I'll help however I can.

"Whenever you guys are done, I'll be in the lab if you want to come find me," Y/N smirked. "Try to control yourself though."

Erwin stood up. "You're staying for the meeting," he stated and began dressing as well.

"I am?"

Erwin tilted his head in confusion. "Yes? You've been in meetings like this before. Also, you were slated to attend this mission as well. So, why wouldn't you be in the meeting?" He stood in front of her as he slipped each arm into his sleeves.

"Well, yeah, but..." Y/N trailed off.

"What, little one? You're being included because of your importance to Hange and the Scouts. Not because we're together. You must know that, right?" Erwin reached out and smoothed down her bed head.

"I don't know... It's the first time that you've invited me. Normally, it's Hange, and some of Levi's squad attends as well."

"You don't have to stay, but I want you there. I'm sure Hange does as well, and Levi," he paused, "is indifferent." Erwin shrugged with a chuckle.

"Okay, okay," Y/N laughed.

When they were both ready, they moved into the office to wait for Levi and Hange to arrive. Erwin sat at his desk, while Y/N was left standing and looking at the two seats opposite Erwin. She actually had been in quite a few meetings with Levi and Hange. So many that she knew that Levi would sit on the left, and Hange would sit to his right.

I can't take one of their spots, she turned. I could sit on the couch, but it's so far away...

"Are you overthinking something?" Erwin asked without looking up from whatever he was writing.

Y/N scowled at him. "No."

She settled on the windowsill behind Erwin. He chuckled but didn't say anything else. Y/N tried to look out the window, but it was too dark. All she could see was the reflection of the room behind her. A knock sounded against the door.

"Come in," Erwin called.

Hange and Levi entered and walked towards their usual seats.

"Hi, Y/N!" Hange smiled. "Isn't this convenient? Now I don't have to relay all of this to you later."

Levi mumbled a greeting as they both sat down. The purple bruises on his knuckles stood out against his pale skin. Y/N hadn't noticed them earlier.

"Hello, Levi, Hange," Erwin greeted them.

Y/N sat quietly as they spoke, taking in as much information as possible. The three shared their initial reactions and opinions on the situation. Everyone was shocked, but Y/N was surprised to see Hange was the most outwardly angry. When the collective rage and shock died down, everyone waited for Erwin to speak. No one said a word as he processed all of the information.

"I think we should continue with the mission as planned," Erwin broke the silence.

"What?!" Hange questioned.

Levi raised his eyebrows. Y/N remained quiet, but her heart beat quickened.

"We know their plans; we'll be ready for them. In fact, we'll be so prepared that we may even be able to gather evidence to prove their intentions."

"No one will believe you, no matter what evidence you have," Levi countered.

"You're probably right, but what other choice do we have? Our own headquarters were compromised. Either we fight back, or we give up. Our only option is to protect our comrades."

Levi sighed. "I guess you've had worse plans in the past."

"Who is going to know the real purpose of the mission?" Hange asked.

"Only those that you trust with your life," Erwin was back to his emotionless voice. "We cannot let the MPs know we discovered their plot. The truth is, we don't know if anyone was helping Ryker, but we should assume the MPs have eyes and ears here."

Hange took her glasses off and rubbed her eyes. Levi was staring at Erwin's desk, lost in his thoughts. Y/N felt nauseous; she hadn't expected this to happen. He hadn't so much as hinted at continuing on with the mission during their conversation.

Y/N wasn't sure how much time passed, but when Erwin turned to her, she had already mangled three nail beds.

"We didn't have dinner. Would you like to go get something to eat?" Erwin rested his hand on her knee.

"Oh, yeah. That sounds nice," Y/N tried to bring her focus back on her surroundings.

"We'll leave you two to it," Hange said and stood up. "Take tomorrow off, Y/N. You refused to take today off, so now I'm insisting."

"Yes, ma'am." Y/N didn't want to argue.

Levi stood up as well, and they walked out together.

Y/N could feel Erwin staring at her. "Can I help you?"

Erwin didn't flinch. "You're so beautiful."

Y/N blushed at his sudden compliment, which made Erwin smirk. He laced his fingers with hers and stood up.

"Let's go eat, little one."