Breakfast with Friends

Just a quick reminder that Jean is aged up more than the others in this fic. He's younger than Y/N, but in my mind he's 20-22. Anyways, this is a bit of a filler, but it's to set up the spicy chapter coming your way tomorrow. 😘

-Parks 🖤

When Y/N woke up the next morning, Erwin was clinging to her in his sleep. His body curled along her back, and his arm was wrapped tightly around her torso. It was the first night he had slept in bed with her since she had returned. She had anticipated having more sex after they moved her in, but the moment Erwin laid in bed, he was unconscious.

He's still out. He must have been exhausted from the sex and moving my things, Y/N quietly chuckled.

He was so cute that Y/N laid in bed for ages because she didn't want to disturb him. Eventually, though, her stomach growled, and she was forced to slip out of his grasp. While she had been sleeping more than ever, Erwin just kept pushing himself. The last thing she wanted to do was wake him now that he was finally asleep.

The sun still hadn't risen yet, so Y/N decided to get ready and go to breakfast. During her recovery, she had only seen Erwin, Hange, and Dr. Cara. Erwin was insistent that Y/N relax and sleep as much as she could.

At first, Dr. Clara visited multiple times a day to check on her progress. However, on the second day after waking up, Dr. Clara stayed to chat with Y/N. It was awkward at first, and obvious what she was trying to do. At the time, Y/N was too tired to argue, and when she was feeling better, she had started to look forward to their chats.

Some visits were still as quick as before, but at least twice a day Dr. Clara spent an hour helping Y/N work through her new trauma. Erwin made sure to excuse himself during the long sessions. He didn't care about knowing what she was saying, as long as she got better.

Because he was being so overprotective, Y/N hadn't seen any of her friends since she made it back to the wall. She saw Hange once a day only because she was the sole person bold enough to ignore Erwin's protests.

In any other scenario, Y/N wouldn't have accepted such overbearing behavior from a partner, but Dr. Clara had recommended she not strain herself, physically or emotionally. Besides, she didn't have a lot of free time between Dr. Clara's visits and sleeping. She went along with it, and, by the end, she was grateful for the opportunity to process her kidnapping in private and at her own pace. But now she was felt overly rested and wanted to get out of the room for a bit.

When she sat down with her cup of tea, she was the only person in the cafeteria. Y/N sipped her tea for a few minutes before the peace was disturbed.

"Y/N?!" Connie shouted from behind her.

Y/N lurched at the sudden commotion. Tea dribbled over the side of her cup.

"Oh!" He whispered, "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." Connie sat on the bench next to her. "It's just so good to see you!"

Connie set his food down on the table and pulled Y/N into a hug. She hissed at the initial shock of someone touching her, but she reminded herself that Connie was a friend. A friend that she thought had died until she saw him on top of the wall. Her arms returned the hug, then Connie released her, completely unaware of her reaction.

Y/N frowned as she studied his face. He still had patches of yellow bruises on his jaw and cheekbones. Her heart ached. He's a baby. Tears began to well in Y/N's eyes.

"I'm so sorry, Connie."

Connie's eyes got wide with panic. He shook his head and raised his hands up in defense.

"Wait, Y/N? Why are you crying?"

She looked down and touched her finger to her cheek.

"Oh this?" Connie laughed.

Y/N snapped her head up. His smile was warm and sincere.

"I got a few good punches in," Connie blushed. "It's really nothing to cry about."

This time Y/N pulled him into a hug.

"I'm so happy you're okay, Connie."

She could both feel and hear his laughter.

"I'm happy you're okay too. It was awful without you here. Reiner wouldn't leave me alone."

Y/N barked out a laugh. It was the first time she had laughed like that since the mission.

"But really," Connie pulled back and got serious. "I'm sorry you went through all of that. It was crazy; I've never seen the Commander like that before."

"Ha, yeah?" Y/N turned back to her tea.

Erwin hadn't talked about the time she was gone. Ryker and her injuries had painted a detailed picture of what Y/N went through without her even having to tell Erwin. He never asked her, so she hadn't asked him. Anytime they got close to the topic, Erwin would steer the conversation away to anything else.

"Yeah..." Connie remembered his food and dug in.

Reiner turned the corner with his food and almost ran into Jean.

"What the fuck, man?"

Jean didn't react. He just continued staring into the cafeteria.

"Are you going to move or what?"

When Jean still didn't budge, Reiner shoved him to the side with his shoulder. Just before walking into the cafeteria, he saw Connie hugging Y/N. Oh. He turned back to Jean and ushered him around the corner where Y/N and Connie wouldn't see them.

"Sorry..." Jean apologized, but he still looked dazed.

Reiner snapped his fingers a few times before Jean finally looked at him. Reiner squinted at him suspiciously.

"Did you really confess to her?" Reiner asked.

Jean blushed. "No! No..." He shook his head.

"It's hard to deny it when the Commander said so himself."

Jean looked down at his tray of food. His appetite had abandoned him. "I should probably go-"

"Uh-uh. Nope." Reiner cut him off. "You were her friend, Jean. She doesn't need to lose anyone right now, especially just because you told her you loved her. She's happy with the Commander. Be happy for her and give her the support she needs right now."

Jean looked like he might cry.

"You're right..." Jean took a deep breath to steady himself.

"I know," Reiner smirked. "Now I'm gonna go say hi to my friend who I haven't spoken to in almost two weeks. Join us whenever you're ready."

Reiner clapped Jean's shoulder then walked into the cafeteria.

"Y/N!!" Reiner yelled.

Jean could see Y/N flinch at his booming voice.

"You can skip the gym, but you've got time for breakfast, huh?" He hollered.

Jean stayed behind for a minute longer. The last time he had spoken to her was when he confessed. She hadn't even had the chance to turn him down before Erwin had shown up. Then she got kidnapped.What the fuck am I supposed to say now? As he debated, the remainder of their group joined him with their trays of food.

"Why are you just standing here like an idiot?" Eren asked Jean.

"Oh, uh Y/N is back, so I was letting Reiner and Connie say hi first."

Everyone knew that was a lie, but no one wanted to point it out (though Eren considered it). Mikasa offered Jean a half smile.

"Let's all go greet Y/N together," she said.