one

early eighties

"hey ma! i'm gonna go to tracy's for a bit!" alannah shouted, slipping into the kitchen for a quick snack. "this late?" her mom raised an eyebrow as the girl checked the time.

"it's only midnight" alannah shrugged, grabbing a bagel and stuffing it in her mouth. "it's raining too!" her mom defended, making the teenager laugh. "im not gonna melt."

without another word from either girls, alannah slipped out the front door and started walking down the sidewalk in the pouring rain. going over to her best friend, tracy's house was always the usual thing.

after about ten minutes, the girl was soaked and standing at tracy's back door. her parents were out of town for the weekend, so alannah could easily slip in without having to ring the doorbell.

deciding to be mischievous, the girl decided to scare her best friend. as she opened the patio door, she cringed as it made a semi loud sound. worst case, tracy would think someone was breaking in.

without a sound from the house, alannah slipped in and took her black boots off before climbing up the stairs. tracy's bedroom sat about five feet away from her, so she slowly snuck up and took a quiet breath before bursting in.

mistake.

"what the fuck" alannah spoke, on the brim of tears. "oh shit!" david, alannah's boyfriend spoke. "w-" alannah couldnt even speak. it's like someone had grabbed her tongue and wasnt letting loose.

"we werent doing anything, i swear!" tracy defended, but alannah wasnt having it. she could see the various articles of clothing spread out among the carpet.

"i-" alannah spoke before abruptly turning around and bolting down the stairs. she heard loud footsteps as she desperately tried to slip on her shoes.

"babe! wait, please" david spoke, latching onto alannah's arm like a leach. "david, let me go" she begged, trying to pull but he wouldnt budge. "baby, you know i wouldnt do anything to hurt you...right?" he questioned, caressing the girls cheek.

alannah didnt hold back on letting the tears fall. "david...you cheated on me" she mumbled, trying to break loose once again. "listen to me damnit!" he yelled, abruplty slapping her cheek.

"david! that hurt" she whined, pulling even harder. "im so sorry" he apologized, but alannah raised up her foot before knocking him right between the legs. his grip loosened and he immediately dropped down to the floor.

"you..bitch" he sighed, breathing heavily. alannah wasted no time getting out of there. she bolted out the side gate and ran in the opposite direction of her house. her mom would be bound to see the slap mark forming on her cheek.

alannah slowed her pace as she neared a bench in a park david and her would always venture to. the rain was pouring harder, but alannah didnt mind...they only covered up her tears more.

david....well he was always like that. toxic. but alannah was still convinced she loved him.

as she sat longer and longer, she felt a presence beside her, but she didnt dare to look over. the bench moved slightly as the voice sighed out. it sounded like a boy, but she wasnt sure.

alannah sniffled one more time - gaining the attention of the stranger. "hey, you okay?" the voice spoke, turning towards her. "mhm" alannah hummed, avoiding eye contact.

"you sure? what are you even doing out here this late?" the mystery man spoke. "it's nice out" the girl shrugged, keeping her voice low. "its pouring! would you like my jacket?" he offered, but alannah was quick to shake her head.

"im just fine" she sighed, reaching up to her face to wipe the rain mixed with tears. "are you sure?" he questioned one more time, before alannah snapped. "i said im fine!" she semi yelled, looking into the eyes of the stranger.

it was a boy, couldnt be much older than her...but from what she could see he had long black curly hair and a baby face. he was wearing black jeans with a muscle shirt and leather jacket resting on his thigh.

"what happened to your face?" he questioned, going to reach up. "none of your business" she spoke, rolling her eyes. the boy only nodded before setting his hands back in his lap.

"you should really take my jacket, youre gonna get sick!" he smiled, holding it out again. alannah kissed her teeth before slowly taking the jacket from him. it seemed as he wouldnt stop until she took it.

she slipped it over her shoulders and looked back at the baby faced boy. "im kirk" he introduced, holding out his hand. "alannah" the girl returned the gesture. her hand met his and she shivered at how cold his hands were.

"that's a pretty name" he chuckled, making alannah smile ever so slightly. "anyways, what are you doing out so late - and in the pouring rain?" "i- i caught my boyfriend cheating on me with my best friend" the girl shrugged.

her eyes immediately widened as she gave herself shit. why would she tell a complete stranger about what happened! he could be a pedo for all she knew.

"oh...uh, im sorry about that" he apologized. "how about you? im sure youre not just out to check on a stranger" she spoke, feeling a little warmer with kirk's jacket.

"i went out with my friends, i was just on my way home" he shrugged, smiling slightly. although alannah was unsure of kirk, she did have to admit that he had an infectious smile.

"i see....well im not stopping you" alannah shrugged, sitting back. "do you need a place to stay?" he asked and alannah quickly shook her head, "i'll be fine."

alannah could go home and hear a whole pity party about david - after all, her mom loved him, even though she didnt know what he did to her daughter. or, she could go home with a complete stranger and possibly be murdered.

"actually, if you dont mind...i need a place to sleep" she smiled slightly. "of course, my house isnt too far!" kirk smiled, immediately jumping up, and holding his hand out for the girl.