nine

a month later

alannah sighed as she opened the front door to her house. she really hated gym, and she was so exhausted. it didnt help that cliff walks slow.

alannah though had spotted a mystery car sitting on the road in front of her house. she assumed it was the neighbours though. maybe they had a visitor over or something.

before alannah went up to her room, she stopped in the kitchen to grab a snack. she definitely did stop though...her dad sat there at the table, but he wasnt alone.

"what are you doing here?" alannah questioned, making two heads snap up. "alannah!" her dad exclaimed, going to give her a hug. "no" alannah spoke, stepping back.

"who is she?" alannah asked, looking at the girl still sat at the table. "that's your half sister" he spoke, a smile on his face. "listen, im not sure what youre doing here, but if mom sees you-" "actually, i already talked to her" dad spoke.

"what do you mean?" alannah spoke, furrowing her eyebrows. "maybe you should have a seat" he nervously chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Im fine, thanks" alannah scoffed.

"okay, well uh, jennifer here is moving in with you and your mom" he smiled. "excuse me?" alannah gasped, eyes wide. "well, she's going to be going to your school, so we assumed it would be fine if she lived here" he shrugged.

"and did mom agree to this?" "yeah" he nodded. alannah felt her blood boiling. how could her mom allow this? a random ass chick whos not even my moms is gonna be living with us?!

"so what do you think?" her dad questioned, a hopeful look in his eyes. "i need some air" alannah spoke, going straight out the front door and running down the sidewalk.

she eventually stopped running and found herself in front of kirks house. she couldnt though...kirk was still ignoring her and it had been a whole month!

she was mostly convinced her feelings for him were gone. kirk didnt deserve alannah for what he had been doing. but on kirk's side, he was taking it just as hard as her.

we dont need to get into that though.

after standing in front of kirk's house for a few moments, alannah turned on her heels and headed straight for raina's house. she wasnt sure if raina was home, but it wouldnt hurt to try.

she walked up the front steps and promptly rang the doorbell. a man in his mid 50s, opened the door with a smile. "can i help you?" "um yea, i was wondering if raina is here?" alannah smiled.

"yeah, she's up in her room! come in" the man invited. alannah nodded a thanks to him before slipping off her shoes and going upstairs.

"knock, knock" alannah spoke, before creaking open her bedroom door. raina wasnt alone though...james and raina both sat on the bed, textbooks open while laughing and writing down stuff.

"oh hey! what are you doing here?" raina questioned, patting a spot on her bed. "i had an important question to ask" alannah sighed, sitting down across from the couple.

"sure" raina nodded. "could i stay here for a couple nights?" alannah asked, avoiding eye contact with both of them. "of course! can i ask why?" raina questioned, tilting her head.

"just some family problems" alannah smiled. "sure, does your mom know?" "yeah" alannah lied, with a convincing nod. "well i'd be happy to have a roommate for a couple days" raina laughed.

"once again, thank you so much for letting me stay here" alannah smiled, climbing into the left side of raina's bed. "it's really no problem! also i forgot to ask...hows the kirk situation?"

"he's still ignoring me, but its whatever" alannah shrugged, fiddling with the blanket. "its not whatever though! have you tried to say anything to him?" raina smiled. "its kinda hard when he wont even look my way" the girl sighed.

"i know, but he's a stubborn guy" raina laughed, making alannah also break out in a small smile. "so if you guys still arent good by monday, im dragging you to talk to him" raina threatened, making alannah laugh. "you wouldnt!"

~

"alannah, your mom just called, asking if we knew where you were?" raina's mom, barbara, questioned. "um did you tell her i was here?" alannah questioned, swallowing hard. "of course i did dear...is there something wrong?"

"i-i need to go...thank you so much to all of you for letting me stay here" alannah smiled, before grabbing her shoes and running out the door. "but it's midnight honey! and its raining!" barbara shouted, but alannah was already far gone.

alannah ran as fast as she could, in the pouring rain, trying to escape. she wanted out of here.

kirk stood at alannah's front door. the rain had already soaked his hair, making it completely flat. his clothes were also soaked, but he decided it had been too long. he needed to make things right with alannah, tonight.

he took a deep breath before bringing his hand up to the doorbell. he pressed down lightly before returning his hand to his jacket pocket.

"kirk?" alannah's mom, molly spoke. kirk could tell she was crying from her puffy eyes. "hi molly, is alannah here?" he spoke. "no dear, she...i havent seen her in a day" molly sighed, bringing her hand up to her face.

"im very sorry, is there anything i can do?" kirk questioned, feeling sympathetic for the woman. "not really, but do you know where she could be?" molly questioned, letting kirk step into the house to shelter from the rain.

"actually, i think i might know where she is..."