Chapter-4

Why do people make the same mistakes again and again? Isn't once an excellent lesson? Are you not supposed to learn?

My gaze snapped back to my best friend, who dozed on the bed like a log. It was past seven-thirty. I groaned.

"Wake up, Ads!" I screamed at the top of my lungs when my phone started ringing. I let out a startled squeak before picking it up from the bedside table. This wasn't the first time Addy had drunk too much to end up with a massive hangover the next day.

"Hey, Mom," I responded in a cheery tone as I stared at the small screen of my phone. FaceTime sucked, especially when there was a lot in your room that you didn't want your mom to look at. Addy had left her clothes on the bean bag last night, creating a haphazard mess that I didn't want my mom to see on FaceTime in my room. I adjusted my camera so only the bed would be visible in the background.

We got home late, which was normal for a club party night, but I was neither a party animal nor a night person, which, according to Addy, sucked. At least she didn't know about my late-night adventures.

"Evika, what are you doing? Isn't it past seven-thirty? Why haven't you showered yet?" Mom's questions snapped me back to the present. Her brown eyes stared at me quizzically from the living room of our home. Her face was still as tanned as the hair that framed it. She frowned at me through the screen.

Well, Mom, thanks to my lovely friend Addy, I haven't had the time to shower. She's snoring like a giant baby and I can't let her miss this lecture. My brain sarcastically added, I can't possibly tell you that she's asleep as she's drunk! One thing you know about Indian moms is that they always fuss over their children. Telling her that Addy downed more than just a couple of shots last night would make her crinkle her nose in disgust. She wouldn't say anything, but her look of disapproval would say it all.

"Uh, I woke up late. We went out last night so... Where's Dad?" I hoped this deviation would work.

"Oh, he's still sleeping." As soon as the words left Mom's mouth, Dad hollered from the background, "Hey, I'm awake. I'm gonna go take a shower." We laughed at that.

Dad had the habit of always running late, especially for work, but every time anyone pointed out this flaw, he'd act clueless. As a kid, I used to help him so he wouldn't be too late. The reason I helped him was because Mom left home early for work so reluctantly I had to bear the workload.

I miss them. Oh, if only I could go back.

"How's college, my girl?" Dad asked. Wasn't he supposed to go shower? He stood beside Mom. His slender nose, pronounced cheekbones and gray eyes, just as they always were. The same eyes and nose I wished I had. From the couch in the background against the cream walls, I knew they were standing near the window in the living room.

"It's going alright, Dad. Classes start today. Professor Lewin told us last semester about a group project." I groaned before continuing, "I just hope I won't be paired with a slacker."

Dad's response was barely a nod before he got up to go about his morning. He always spoke in monosyllables besides the occasional pieces of advice.

"So, what about the extra curricular?" Mom questioned.

"It's going well. We have an upcoming inter-college contest in a couple of months, so it's hectic."

"Oh, and she auditioned for the music club, too!" A voice exclaimed behind me. It was then that I noticed Addy popping up behind me on my phone screen. Gosh, when did that gal wake up?

"Oh, that's amazing! All the best, Evie beta." Mom's face lit up with an encouraging smile that broke something inside me. I didn't want her to know about the audition as it was only a hoax. I needed to sew Addy's lips.