Chapter-16

Addy... Noah, please... don't leave me.

"Eve, I'm here. We're all here for you. Don't worry. It's going to be fine."

I heard a distant voice speak. I felt hotness, a burn within as I felt my eyelids weigh down. Why did my head spin as if I had been on a rollercoaster? I had a desire to open my eyes, but I couldn't. I had never felt so helpless in my life.

I felt an icy hand gently caress against my cheek. What was happening? The last thing I remembered was going to bed last night with the dread of our performance and sudden appearance of Matt filling me with cloudy darkness.

"Eve, don't worry. It's all okay. It's all under control."

Noah? How is he in my dorm? Why is he in my dorm? Am I in my dorm? I tried so hard to open my eyes; I was sure I had never put so much effort into doing something in my life.

I felt cold flesh clasp my hands in a firm grip as I slowly opened my eyes. The light seemed blinding, too revealing for a soul like me. I would rather dwell in the dark. I still don't know what had taken over me back then.

"Noah?" I called out and was surprised at how scratchy my voice sounded to my own ears. "What... what happened".

"You had a very high fever, and you were mumbling incoherently, so Addy called me. We're in the medical room right now. You scared me to death, Evika."

Did I have a fever from anxiety again? But, it hasn't happened since... No, Eve. It's all good. Don't fret over nothing.

"Wa... water." My throat had never felt so dry, like a piece of parchment. Noah quickly picked up the sipper beside the bed and brought it to my lips.

My heart beat faster than usual. His face was a mere inch away. Suddenly, I had the urge to run my hands through his messy curls. Tremors shook my body and my hand involuntarily tugged at the blanket covering me.

After quickly drinking water, I looked up at his azure eyes. "Where is Addy? What about our rehearsal?"

I was terrified. What would happen now? We were supposed to perform in front of the entire music club tomorrow as part of our performance for the fest. I would always be a failure. I felt my heartbeat quicken as I anticipated his reply.

"Eve, don't worry about the rehearsal. Your health is more important."

Oh, Noah, why did you have to be so sweet and polite? I knew it was his way of saying how truly messed up I was. How I had harmed the interests of everyone.

You will always remain a failure, Eve. Always.

The children from my childhood suddenly obstructed my vision.

"Eve is a failure. She can't sing. Eve is a teacher's pet."

"Come on, you and I both know you aren't dating material." A sharp feminine voice whispered.

"Eve is an airhead. She doesn't even realize when she's being mocked."

"Eve, dear, you are a genius, aren't you? Such a cute little girl."

"Eve," Noah called out as he shook my shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay, Noah. Please go and practice. I'll join you in a minute. Tomorrow we have to get ready for the performance." Yeah, that should be my priority.

I felt the familiar sting of unshed tears in my eyes, as if someone had poured lemon juice in them. I looked away, afraid that Noah would see-through. He didn't deserve to dwell on my misery. I knew he would not pity me. He would sympathize, which was worse.