Chapter-5

Why is it that sometimes we wake up in such a sour mood that nothing seems to work? No amount of effort seems to lighten our mood.

I wondered as I jogged on the concrete pavement lined with tall trees. Arijit Singh's songs blasted through the AirPods as a cool breeze whipped my hair. These songs seemed uncharacteristically sad for someone who was trying to lighten up their mood. I should've chosen some more upbeat and energetic songs instead.

Perspiration made it difficult for me to make out much of the scenery, but I liked how the tall trees obscured my vision. My feet cursed me as I continued jogging another lap. I was not sporty. The failed attempts of childhood had made me realize with bitterness that they did not make me out for it. I couldn't do well in any sports. Was it a plausible justification for not exercising? Probably not. But, I hated exercising with a passion.

That explained the amount of effort I had put into lightening up my mood. Nothing seemed to work, though. I desperately wanted to call her. She would have known how to lift my mood by cracking a few lame jokes and teasing me to hell and back. A wry smile graced my lips as I increased my pace.

Focus, Eve! You can't call her. You know better!

I knew nothing was the same between us anymore, but that didn't mean it would stop hurting soon.

The familiar ping of notification brought me out of my musings. I took out my phone from my pocket. Busy while jogging on campus was the best way to prevent being accosted by someone you knew. Trying to follow that, I unlocked my phone.

New message in TMGC Practice today at 5:30 pm! See you guys! 6:05 am. Sent by xxxxxxxx723.

I hissed, mildly frustrated. If my lack of awareness about this sour mood didn't already frazzle me, that group utterly frustrated me. Amid assignments, freelance work and lectures, I had forgotten about that group chat. I should ask Addy. She knows almost everyone, so she might recognize this group.

I opened the group chat info to check if there was anyone in the group who I knew, but to no avail. Huffing, I trudged back to the dorm room. Addy wouldn't be awake this early, making it the best time to have a long and relaxing shower. With that in mind, I went back to the dorms.

While I was still in the shower, Addy woke up.

"Eve, hurry!" she hollered. I could picture her standing on the other side of the door, eyes half closed, shouting before falling back on the bed. I liked how she hadn't lost her childlike spirit. Smiling, I hastily changed into a peach top and denim before getting out.

"Ugh, wake up, Addy!" I shouted as I stood near the dressing table. She immediately jerked awake and sat up on the bed.

"Good." I chuckled. "Now, I need to ask you this. Someone added me to an unknown group a couple of days ago. Can you check and tell me if you know about it?" I asked, walking over to my side of the room to pick the phone from the bedside table.

"This," I said, handing her the phone with the group chat open.

"That's the band's group chat." She shrugged before getting up. My eyebrows scrunched.

"Why is it called TMGC? And why aren't you in that group?" I questioned.

Her jaw dropped, making me self-conscious. "The Musafirs' Group Chat—TMGC? Does it make sense? How the hell do you not know the band's name? It's the only band that's student run and has had many concerts." Her hands emphasized her point through elaborate gestures.

I shrugged, feeling a bit embarrassed. "It's not something out of the world that everyone should know. You didn't answer my second question, though."

"Oh, well, it has my other number added that I use when the Wi-Fi sucks," she answered. I raised my eyebrows, but didn't question any further. Why did I not have her other number?