Drunken Haze

In his normal booth at his favorite bar with his cherry red laptop and a small glass of Scotch, Richard Castle swatted away at his keyboard, creating a new scene of twists as he began a journey with a new character, Derrek Storm. This one was different from the rest of his characters. The secret agent was more thought out and relateable. For the first time ever, he thought he might have a character that could go on to do great things in later books.

As he continued to throw his character into a world of danger, he didn't stop moving his fingers until his phone vibrated on the table. The front screen lit up a bright blue, showing him it was past ten, and he realized who this must be. Without hesitation, he tossed open the flip phone and answered, "Hello?"

It was her. "Hi, Kitten," Meredith answered. "How's my favorite author doing?"

"Missing you terribly," he replied. "How's Alexis?"

"She's all tuckered out," the woman said, looking down at the two year old sleeping calmly in her lap. "I must say, Rick, I don't know how you do it. One night at home with her and I'm already dying for a break."

He smiled weakly. "Well, it's something you get used to after two years of it."

"I wish I had been there," Meredith replied.

"No, Lex and I get it. You have to work," the man said softly.

Meredith then said innocently, "So you wouldn't hate me if I took on another project?"

"What," he said, pain filling his voice, "But you just got home a week ago. You missed Christmas."

"I know, darling, but... it's a brilliant opportunity. Besides, you and Alexis don't need me around. And you can work from home. The two of you will do fine."

He sighed, knowing she had already made up her mind. "Alright, sweetheart. If that's what you want, I'll support you. When do you leave?"

"Next week," she replied casually.

"Next week?! But- you just got back!"

"And I get a whole week to sped with you two. How often does that happen?" The answer was, unfortunately, never.

He again let out a breath of disappointment and asked, "So I'll see you two back at the loft when I get home?"

"Absolutely," the woman playfully replied.

Rick then told her, "I love you."

"Love you too, Kitten," the woman said, making a fake kissing noise into the phone and then hanging up.

After that, Richard didn't feel like writing any more. Instead, he shut his laptop after saving the draft and packed it away in its carrying bag. As he strolled over to the bar, he took a seat beside an older man who seemed to be staring into his Scotch and Rick told the bar tender, "I'll have whatever he's having."

The old man, with broken crystal eyes, looked at the writer beside him and said, "Scotch is kind of strong for someone your age, isn't it?"

Richard smiled, "I need a strong one if I'm going to forget about the woman at home."

"Don't forget her," the elder man said, "You don't want to forget her. Not while she's still there."

Richard sighed and could see the man was in a decent amount of pain at those words. He then asked, "What's your name?"

"Jim," the man slurred. "Jim Beckett. You?"

"Richard Castle," he replied, holding out his hand. It took Jim a moment to realize he was wanting to shake hands, and when he finally did, he struggled to hold Rick's hand at all. Still, he shook it, commenting to the writer, "You've got a strong grip there, son."