To See Her Smile

A few days after their encounter, as Kate strolled out of her most excruciating and exhilarating test yet in the school year, she adjusted her backpack over her shoulder, and continued to stare at the floor. When she finally looked up, she found standing before her a delighted writer with two coffees and a smile that warmed her heart. "Rick," the girl asked, mostly just surprised.

He grinned more radiantly. "Hey, there you are. How was the test?"

"Not bad at all, I just-... I can't believe you're here." As she stood before him in wonder, searching the blue pools that were staring into her, she was speechless.

He watched her eyes for a moment, losing track of reality as he stood a mere two feet from her. Finally, after a few seconds passed, he held out her cup to her and told her, "I- thought you could use some coffee after that."

"Oh," she said, being the first to avert her eyes toward the cup, "Thank you." As she took the mug and enjoyed the simple scent of her favorite drink, her face lighting up instantly, he bathed in the sight of her joy.

"It's my pleasure."

With that, the writer held out his arm to her, taking her bag and guiding her as they strolled along the campus. Both were swept up in each other's presence, so much so that neither noticed as the sky above began to darken. Finally, when the writer was hit with a single rain drop, they noticed the pale blue-grey sky was warping in the wind. It had been an hour since the writer handed her that coffee, and their caffeine-driven energy highs were just about at their peaks. With that fueling him onward, after deciding the weather wouldn't keep him from spending time with her, he questioned, "Do you have to be back here today?"

"Not for another three hours," Kate replied.

He smiled. "Good! Then we have time for a field trip." As she looked at him strangely, mischievous pleasure dawned on his face, and he swiftly flew behind her, scooping her up into his arms, sending her into a fit of laughter.

She managed to ask from the air, "Where are we going?!"

The writer replied, "Don't worry. Just trust me." Even with a twinge of hesitation, she looked into him and knew she was safe. She knew where ever they were going, as long as she was with him, she had nothing to worry about.

When the two finally got to the park, sitting on the swings, ignoring the pouring rain as their lips slid over each other and collided in passion and youthful foolishness, the two managed to somehow forget everything but each other. As his arms held her close to him, keeping her completely stable in his care, her hands ran smoothly over the hairs on his neck and the back of his head. As she slowly slipped off of her swing, falling into him, she finally planted her feet, and pulled away from him. When she did, as she looked back at the swing and laughed, he watched her lips curl and her eyes gleam. She told him in amusement, "This is fantastic!"

The writer grinned. "I knew you would enjoy it!"

"I don't think I've ever been this completely drenched in my entire life!"

"Isn't it great?!"

"Yes!" As Kate lifted her head toward the sky, Rick watched his angel beam and couldn't help but feel his heart lift. She looked so beautiful, absolutely stunning, even with her makeup running slightly out of place and her hair a mess. She was perfection even in the worst of conditions. She was absolutely his beacon of light, shining brilliantly into the open air, reminding him that even on the worst days, there was a possibility for joy. With that, he pulled her back to him for another embrace which eventually guided her to climb aboard his swing and go deeper with every kiss.

After a while longer, Richard finally told her, "We should start heading back soon. You'll need to get to class."

"Can't we just stay here forever," she questioned as she straddled him in the swing, her head against his chest, listening to the beat of his heart.

"I wish," the writer replied. "But you have school and I have a daughter and writing and you have your dad and your job."

"And we have lives to deal with. I know. I just- wish we didn't." As her statement resided in his chest a moment, Rick went silent. He certainly didn't disagree on most fronts of that statement, his daughter and Kate being his only exceptions.

Eventually, however, he did say, "We have time to stop by the loft if you want. You could take a shower and warm up a bit. I could dry your clothes." Kate closed her eyes for a moment and leaned into his chest, waiting a moment before humming an okay.

With her still in his arms, as he continued to hold her, keeping her sheilded and secure, he couldn't imagine leaving this position. As she listened to his chest, feeling every breath he took, she didn't want to leave his hold either. So, for a moment, the two remained still. Rick gently laid a kiss on her head as they continued to rest for just a moment, and as he did, he knew this could be something incredible.

Finally, when the two had to get up and start toward their necessary locations, Kate paused a moment as she stood just to leave a simple mark on his cheek. The two then moved toward the car, hand in hand, innocently holding each other with a sense of joy they had never felt before. When they got back to the loft, as passion began to overtake them, they never missed a single step in memorizing each other and neither missed a single moment of the other's presence. Once the two had flown their highest, when they stepped out of the shower, Rick looked at Kate's body as she stood before him. In that moment, he knew he was going to love this woman for however long she let him. He had fallen head over heels, and now he was hers. She just didn't know it yet.