Goodbye Hello

A few more days passed before it finally became time for Meredith to leave. Rick and Alexis dropped her off at the airport with a massive number of hugs and kisses until the woman was forced to get on the plane. They watched from the gate while the plane took off. Even for as late as it was in March, the air still seemed frozen as the two climbed into their car after mommy left. As Rick sat back, looking in the rear view at his young daughter who seemed upset as she looked out the window, a twinge of pain hit him, and he finally had to ask, "Hey, pumpkin, you want to go find something fun to do? We could go to the museum or maybe the McDonald's with the play place."

The child then looked at her father, and asked, "Daddy, we see Kate? She don't leave so much."

Rick's heart ached. "Lex, sweetheart, you know mommy doesn't like to leave. It's just her job."

"But-... you stay home, daddy," Alexis said, not really knowing what she was saying as she continued, "Mommy must not want to stay if she leaves. She must no like being home."

"Oh, Alexis, pumpkin, your mom loves being at home. And she loves you more than anything. She just has to go."

The child then stated, in her infinite, inexplicable wisdom, "If mommy loved us, she would somehow stay. You stay. Gram stays. Mommy would stay if she loved us."

"Alexis, that isn't fair. Mommy loves you so, so much. She just doesn't have the kind of job where she can stay. Gram does, and I do, but your mother doesn't. But none of that means she doesn't love you very, very much." The child went silent, and continued to stare out the window. When Rick realized he wasn't getting through to her, he sighed. Finally, he did the only thing he could do to get her attention. "You want to go see Gram?" The young girl perked up instantly.

When they got to his mother's small apartment she was paying for with whatever small amounts of money she had left (plus her allowance that he gave her), he walked in and was immediately welcomed for not having Meredith with him and for having brought Alexis with him. Martha was quickly pleased to entertain her granddaughter and unintentionally ignore her son in the process. While the two played, Rick stepped out into the hall and dialed the number he had saved a few days back. Kate picked up. "Hello?

"Hey, it's Rick," the writer stated.

"Hey! I was just about to call you. What's up?"

"Nothing really," the writer lied, "What about you? Did you want to talk to me about something?"

"Yeah, actually, I-... One of my friends is throwing a party at her parents' loft tonight and my date canceled out on me," Kate lied, making up the date. "I was wondering if you weren't free."

Rick looked back over his shoulder, hearing his daughter say what she said in the car, and realized he needed to blow off some steam. "Yeah, I would love to be your fall back guy."

"Hey, fall back is just another term for reliable," Kate played.

Rick smiled. "And second choice."

"Last minute substitute that will probably turn out better than the original given he's missing this for a computer lecture."

"Wow," Rick said. "Where'd you meet the stiff?"

Kate shrugged. "Campus."

"Ah..."

"Yeah... Anyway, wear something semi-formal. Like a sports jacket and jeans would be fine. It's just going to be a bunch of us from high school and our dates and whoever else Maddie adds from her sorority or the fraternities at N.Y.U."

"Do you guys need someone to pick up the booze," Rick offered.

Kate laughed. "I think she's probably got someone on that, but thanks for the offer. I forgot you were legal."

"You forgot a was legal, huh?" Rick smiled. "Well, you are dealing with a refined older man."

"Refined? Ha! Let's just see how refined you are tonight, Mr. Page-Six."

Richard grinned wildly. "Oh, you are so on. Pick you up at seven-thirty?"

The girl on the other end grinned. "Make it seven. I want to make sure you soak up every ounce of this."

"You got it," the writer declared. "This is going to be fun."

"You have no idea," the girl said, and then hung up, dawning a vicious, animalistic excitement. It was time to see what the paparazzi saw. It was time to see the playboy out of his shell.