The Call

When Rick got to the apartment that evening, he wandered inside, only to find that Meredith and Alexis had fallen asleep on the couch. Alexis was still wearing the new clothes her mother had bought for her, and Meredith hadn't yet stripped her feet of the four inch heels she constantly wore. He smiled at the sight of the pair, glad to see they had obviously enjoyed their girls' day out. Rick then set aside his laptop case and strolled through the doors toward the pair; he couldn't help but wonder if this was what heaven looked like.

In front of them, Rick leaned down and lightly pressed a singular kiss into his wife's forehead, rousing her softly. As she breathed softly, moving her head around a bit before opening her eyes, she took in the gentle scent of his cologne and cooed simply, "You're home."

"Yeah, sweetheart. I'm sorry it took a while. I was helping a nice man at the bar," Rick said, placing his hand on her upper arm and stroking her skin with a gentle care.

The woman then smiled to herself and teased, "So it wasn't a short session with a fangirl?"

He chuckled under his breath. "No," he softly replied, "I'm all yours." He then leaned in and laid a gentle kiss on her lips. When he pulled away, his attention dropped down to his baby girl. "How was she today?"

"Wonderful," Meredith replied. "She's not much of a shopper yet, but I'll teach her."

"Well, the clothes you bought her are gorgeous," Rick stated, looking down at the bright sky blue shirt and white jeans his daughter had been dressed in with a pair of white tennis shoes and frilly socks.

Meredith answered, "Only the best for our little angel." For a while longer, Rick watched his daughter, her chest rising and falling as she breathed, her hands tucked under her head the way he thought only cliche commercial children slept. Her strawberry blonde hair was still up with floral pins, a high half ponytail while the rest draped over her shoulders, wildly untamed. She looked absolutely perfect.

After the moment passed, he told Meredith, "I'll take her up to bed and then come down and we can chat a while longer about the day." The mother weakly nodded as she moved her hands. Rick had Alexis carefully pulled to his shoulder in a matter of seconds. She was still sleeping, her body completely limp, and somehow he managed to get her all the way to her room without her moving an inch. As he laid her down, pulling the pink blanket over her small figure after removing her shoes, he made certain he was as gentle and quiet as possible. He then brushed the hair from her face and whispered, "I love you, pumpkin. Sleep tight," as he got up and walked out, watching her until the door was closed behind him.

When he trekked back down and found Meredith on her laptop, checking her email, he spoke softly, "She's completely out of it."

"I bet," Meredith replied, seeing him and shutting the laptop almost instantly.

He then crept up near her and said, "So, tell me about this job."

She wildly grinned. "It's in Malibu. Vinnie's directing it and he is such a genius," she fawned.

"Vinnie," Rick questioned, raising his eyebrow.

She replied, "Vincent Sterling. Surely you remember him. He only just directed this last project I was on."

"Oh, I remember," Castle said, widening his eyes. Vincent Sterling was the last man on earth Rick wanted his wife around. He was the only director she had ever had that gave him the feeling he was a sleaze.

"Oh, now, Richard, I know you don't like him much, but he's a good director, very easy to work with. Besides, I told you, this is a great project."

He sighed, and put up his hands. "I know, I know. And I trust your judgment. I just don't trust him."

"Well, maybe you and Lex could come visit some times on the weekends when I'm off set," the woman replied, knowing he couldn't leave the city.