The Sister Part 2

Another headache plague King Carlyle's day. He massaged his forehead trying to alleviate the pain while all around him his council argued about another tax reform bill.

They cannot push the people to pay more, they all were just coping from the previous attack from the enemy kingdom.

"Stop." he commanded with finality.

"We do not raise the taxes of our people. We need to come to a decision on how to improve our market and trade. Then we should also focus in our mining to produce more gold. Now if you have no further suggestions, then this assembly is dismissed." he stood up willing for the room to stop shifting under his feet.

"Your highness are you alright, you're a bit pale. Should I call the royal physician?"

"No need. I am headed that way."

"Do you need an escort?"

"Call Anthony, I have need of him."

"Yes, your highness."
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

He heard a child's gleeful laugh before he entered her medical quarters. He knew how the children adores Mari, wherever she goes children flocks her and asks her to do magic. She often showed them simple magic tricks and he cant help but be fascinated
with it as well.

Naturally people gossip about her. Why would the king bring a woman from nowhere and suddenly gave her such an important role.

Why she hid her face in a mask or veil. Why her skin is all covered. How she seemed so eerie, and mysterious.

People were intrigued by her but at the same time they treat her well because despite the knowledge of gossip Mari remained good in nature.

He looked inside and saw two children a boy and a girl sitting on still a little far from her experiment table. She demonstrate of pouring liquid in her Petri dish, then she snap her finger and magically the solution burst in flames and erupted into a beautiful butterfly smoke flapping its colorful wings.

"Mari do it again. This time I want a dragon." The little boy said. He was the marquee's son.

"No I want a swan." His sister argued.

"Now,now kids we can do this again some other time. The King is waiting for his turn. You don't want our beloved king waiting don't you?"

It was both surprising and chilling when she does that, knowing that he was there no matter how silent and stealthy he tried to sneak up she would always know where he is. At some point it had become a game to them.

"You can continue while I watch" he said entering the room, going for the comfortable bed. Her private wing had become a solace to him. When thing become hectic and stuffy, he qould go to her and just sleep hearing her working on her table.

It has been his routine in the past three months that they have returned to the city.

He would do jis Kingly duties in the early mourning until midday, then he would meet his bride candidates up till noon, then he'd head to Mari's medical wing to get a breather.

They don't necessarily talk, and she didn't need to ask him much. She just let him do as he please, she let him talk and complain and sometimes she would give advices, but ultimately she would just provide a space for him so he could relax without interruption.

"Children. Our majesty needs his rest, move along."
The children pouted but conceded, they bowed to the king and went out of the infirmary running to their friends telling about the magic show.