Chapter 7 ❛Midnight in Motels❜

Monday, 9:16 PM

          The sleepy Bear Motel was nowhere as cute and cozy as the name made it sound. In fact, it was the exact opposite.

          "Ok, honestly I'm a little scared," Everett admitted.

          The parking lot of the motel was practically deserted, besides two other cars. Both of them looked like they were older than the two teens combined and had been there just as long. The inside of the Sleepy Bear was no better, dirty red carpet with stains from who-even-knows-what, and white walls that were yellowing from age. A single, torn light brown leather couch was pushed up against the far wall, with a chipped wooden coffee table in front of it. There was an assortment of magazines on the table, but none of them looked to be from before 2010.

          "We can always leave," Fleur whispered back, taking baby steps backwards.

          "Good evening, y'all!" The old lady behind the front desk called. "In need of a room?"

          "It's too late now," Everett sighed sleepily to Fleur. "Yes ma'am, we're on a bit of a rod trip and need a room for the evening." He put on his best smile and strolled closer to the desk.

          "Well then it's your lucky day because that's exactly what we have here at the Sleepy Bear Motel," the lady giggled like what she was saying was funny.

          "Well, it sure must be."

          The lady flashed the brown-eyed boy a smile before quickly typing away at her keyboard and printing off a piece of paper with their room number. "I think that room 14 will be just perfect for the two of you."

          "And how much?" Everett asked pulling out his wallet to grab some cash.

      Fleur made a mental note to e-transfer Mikey and Lucy enough money for all of this later.

          "It's on the house," the lady giggled, slapping a card key down on the counter. "The room was already paid for, but the couple cancelled last minute. Non-refundable."

          "You're too kind," Fleur piped in walking over and grabbing the key card. "We really do appreciate it."

          The teens gave the lady one last smile before pulling their duffle bags higher on their shoulders and walking away to find room 14. 

          Room 14 was at the far end of the small motel, at the very end of the hallway, past the fire escape.

          The blonde didn't waste a single second before shoving the key card into the slot and yanking the door handle open.

          "Ohmygod!" Fleur exclaimed.

          Room 14 was the honeymoon suite. Equipped with a heart-shaped bed, red velvet walls, a large jacuzzi tub, and of course, red silk sheets. There was even a small disco ball hanging over the bed.

          "Dibs on taking a bath first," Everett said pushing past the girl and into the room.

          "We are not staying here!" Fleur cried. "I mean, what the hell did that lady at the front desk think? That we were teenagers running away to elope?!"

          "It's a free room, princess," the boy replied popping one of the small pillow chocolates in his mouth.

          Everett had spent nights in way worse places, in his eyes room 14 was a step up. And it was free, so really, what was he going to complain about? He didn't even own a bed frame back home, let alone have someone put tiny chocolates on his pillow.