Chapter 9 ❛The Silver State For Second Tries❜

Tuesday, 3:16 PM

     "Nevada or Utah?" 

    "What?"

   "Las Vegas or Salt Lake City?"

     Fleur was pissed and Everett was scared; and Everett was never scared. Not even when he was nine and his friend's older brother made him watch 'Saw' in the dark. Not even when he was 12 and kissed a girl for the first time.

     But he was scared of Fleur. Blonde, beautiful, and smelled like candy rich girl Fleur that was almost a foot shorter than him and scared of spiders. He was terrified.

     "Are you asking which city I want to be killed in?" Everett asked carefully.

      Fleur rolled her eyes at him but didn't look up from the crumbled and creased map in front of her. "No. I need you alive to get me across the border."

     "Then what the hell are you talking about?"

      Right now the two teens were pulled off to the side of the highway where there was nothing but the hot sun and loud cars. Fleur was learned forward toward the open tailgate, the map spread out in front of her on the truck bed While Everett has his back pressed against the side of the truck. A backwards cap on his head, and an unlit cigarette dangling from his fingers.

      Now, Everett didn't smoke. At least not anymore, but whenever he got nervous he like to have one to roll around between his fingers. It helped him think.

     "I did the math and mapped out the routes. We can either take this way to Utah or this one to Nevada," Fleur explained while she jabbed her finger at the routes. "They both take about the same amount of time, so it's up to you Mr. Driver. Gambling or Mormons?"

      Everett gave her a look.

       "Gambling it is."

     The brown-eyed boy tossed the unlit cigarette into the nearby trash bin. "Well in that case," he slammed the tailgate shut just as Fleur had taken a step back, the map folded neatly in her hands. "We better get a move on."

5:45 PM

5:45 PM

     The universe was not in a rush.

     When the matter began to cool down and elements began to form, there was no one there to rush it. There was no one there to tell the universe it was taking too long and that they had places to be.

     So maybe Fleur and Everett aren't like the start of the universe in every way. Because Fleur is far from calm as they drove through the desert. If she didn't make it back home in time to walk across that stage and simile for too many pictures with her parents — she didn't even want to think about that.