Lost

Song: Follow You - Bring the Horizon

Iwaizumi could feel the faint hint of summer as he lay flat on his back, staring up at the stars. Sleep tugged at him and he closed his eyes, his body not caring about how hard the asphalt was beneath him.

"Iwa! I told you not to lay down. You'll drift off," Tooru scolded, hitting him lightly in the stomach.

Hajime sat up, desperate to get back to the apartment. "How much longer do we have to wait out here? It's been forever," he complained.

"Just a little longer. Kuroo said to stay until at least 3am," Oikawa said, checking his phone.

This was the third night Iwaizumi had sat with Tooru on top of the south street parking garage. It faced the corporate building they were assigned, and it was just high enough to where they could see pretty much everything they needed to. Turns out, there's not much to see at 3am on weekdays.

Oikawa kept his eyes fixed on the building every waking moment, and Iwa was sure he hadn't even blinked. In sharp contrast, Iwaizumi had brought his sketchpad to pass the time. The moon, the stars, and streetlights kept the pages lit enough. He drew the buildings, the drunks down below, and Tooru, of course.

But near the end of their watch, the two sat side by side, their feet dangling off the edge. Iwa turned to Oikawa, his tired face lit dimly by the flickering streetlights. "I've been meaning to ask you something," Iwaizumi said, getting Tooru's attention.

He laughed a little. "I'll tell you anything you want to know, Iwa."

"How did you find out about Kuroo?"

"Well...he found me at our fountain one night. It was really late, and there were no stars out. I don't remember how I got there or how I got the gun, but he's the one that pulled it away from my head and took me to his apartment. The rest is history, I guess," he said, looking away to avoid Iwaizumi's saddened eyes.

"Were you going to do it?" Hajime asked.

"I was."

Hajime didn't let himself think too long on what could have been if Kuroo hadn't shown up. "I want you to know something important."

Tooru looked over to Iwa. "Yeah?"

"I want you to know that if you died, I would miss you, and I wouldn't ever be able to forget you," he admitted.

Oikawa's face crumpled a little at Iwaizumi's words. "I feel the same about you."

Hajime let the silence settle between them, keeping the words he'd meant to say unsaid. If Tooru died, Iwaizumi would be buried in the grave right beside him.

"It's time to go," Oikawa said, dusting the dirt off his pants and lending a hand down to Iwa.

"I'm so tired," Hajime said as the two of them walked back to their car three blocks from the parking garage.

Tooru raised an eyebrow and grinned. "Are you really/"

"What are you playing at?" Iwa asked with a sigh.

"Well...I have some leftover spray paint in the trunk. If you want, we could have some fun," he said, his voice pitching up.

Iwaizumi was, in truth, exhausted, but he rarely turned down a night of delinquency with Tooru. Besides, what's the harm?

"I'm gonna need some more convincing," Iwa teased as they approached the car.

Tooru gave him the evil eye before delving into the contents of his back trunk. "Here. You get the red one and I'll take the blue one," he said, throwing Iwa a paint can and running across the street.