Chapter Two

Chapter 2

(When Absalom brings Jesse, who is now a strong, handsome young man, to live in their house, Tamar realizes that the childhood pleasure she took in her best friend was turning into love.)

   Tamar busied herself with the household chores although she was not expected to work.  She enjoyed going to the well to hear stories of Jesse, whom the women always spoke of.  At market she and Absalom often asked about Jesse of those who sold woolen goods.  She was overjoyed to hear he was doing well in Tekoa.  She was delighted when they spoke of his skill with the harp.

   Absalom asked, "Do you not know this is Tamar, the King's daughter?"

 The market vendors replied, "So this is the beautiful young lady that we hear of in song as we travel the roads from here to Tekoa! Oh, you are everything the young Jesse's songs say you are."

   Tamar felt her heart leap with pride, not for herself but for her young Jesse.  "Oh, Absalom, he has not forgotten me after all these years and has not gone after the young maidens or into widows along the way!"

   For the next weeks no one was happier than Tamar.  Absalom went out and in among the shepherds and sometimes brought her stories of Jesse killing wild animals and saving others at night with his sling.  He even learned a song for Tamar that the shepherds had said was Jesse's.

   One day Absalom proposed something that made Tamar's heart leap with joy.  He came to her humming one of Jesse's songs on the balcony. He said, "I must go about our mother's business all the way to Tekoa, and I will send a runner ahead with the news that I am looking for Jesse."

   "Oh, Absalom, could you?"

   "I will pay someone to carry out his duties while I invite him here for a visit.  Would you like that?"

   "Oh, yes!" Tamar said.  She kissed her brother and said, "Bring my Jesse back."  She held onto Absalom's beautiful long hair, saying, "Let not someone seize this and harm you because of it." She watched with excitement as Absalom left the courtyard with his mule all packed.

   Absalom had paid a group of men to escort him through the countryside.  His mother owned fields here and there that would belong to him some day.  She was growing ill although not an old woman.  He had learned the business of shepherding from the business end but had not spent time looking after sheep as had Jesse.  He also wanted to visit his mother's vineyards and olive groves to see if their productivity was more than what their processors said it was.

   Before now he had to depend on reports from the hills but now needed to count the vineyards, olive trees, and sheep for himself to make sure his mother was not being cheated.

   After dismissing his escort to take lodging in a nearby village, he continued on until evening.  At the end of his first day's inspection he roused an innkeeper.

   "Peace be unto you, my friend. Have you a place for me?"

   The inn keeper bowed low saying, "I always have a place for a son of King David."

   "What about the king's first born?"

   "Amnon makes trouble for the people of Tekoa. He hires out worthless men to rob and steal among us.  But nobody goes to the king to complain for fear that more harm will come."

   "If I were king, there would be justice for honest business men like you from Dan to Beersheba."

   "Well, I pray only for the safety of the king. But please allow me to add you to my prayers when I sacrifice at the high place over there on the hill."