Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13

(Absalom's plans intensify. He forewarns Tamar that the times are becoming more dangerous for everyone.)

Tamar saw less of Absalom with the passing of time. He took less notice of the younger Tamar. She often asked what was so important that he was always out doing the king's business. Although she loved their intimate days with Jesse by the city gate even more, she had since learned to control herself. It was there one day she asked if he could go with Absalom to learn his purpose. When Absalom always refused him, she came to realize that Jesse would never be  permitted  to learn anything of his true intent.

In the ancient towns it was a tradition to conduct disputes there. Not that he had set out to settle matters. It  just happened that Absalom overheard men in a dispute by the gate. Absalom had possessed a well-developed sense of negotiating skills.

Calling the two men together, he told them that he was a prince in Israel. One recognized Absalom and convinced the other man they could trust his judgment. When Absalom guided the two into a satisfying agreement, they departed content that both had received justice.

As they prepared to depart, Absalom said, "If I were king over Israel, every man would have justice."

That day he began to settle disputes among men with grievances before they became so grievous as to demand the king's attention. Each time he promised wise judgment were he to become king in Israel.

Absalom had come to realize that there must be more grievances to settle among the tribes and thus a greater opportunity to travel as an unofficial ambassador for the king. In this he worked with the same stealth as his father had when under the nominal service of the Philistines.

In all this he always said to those he helped, "Oh, if I were king in Israel, how I would be just to the poorest widow or the most helpless old man."

For long weeks on end he was out among the tribes with his small band of fifty armed men, looking to their needs and organizing them to protect themselves. The people began to prosper. Absalom reasoned that overstepping his authority in pacifying the tribes would be forgiven if he made people prosperous and content.

In the king's court Joab stood before King David with his report. "I have come from Megiddo. Two years ago Absalom lowered the percentage of the king's share of their harvest."

"Did my accountants not say that the harvest brought to the king last year was the largest since my rule began?"

"Yes, oh king, but who is Absalom that he himself has the authority to make such decisions without the king's authority?"

"Perhaps we should give Absalom the flexibility he needs to act in the name of the king."

"Why not just give Absalom your kingdom and retire to a country estate? But what vengeance would Absalom take on your remaining sons, me, or any of his enemies?"

"A king never retires. Am I not the Lord's anointed?"

"Yes, that is my point, my king. Absalom has been anointed only with rainwater. No prophet has received word from God to bring the oil of anointing in order to make him king in your stead! The high priest's urim and thumim are silent about Absalom. It is not fit that Absalom act as if he were king already!"

"Go away from me today," King David said with scorn for Joab. "Return to me tomorrow. But even then nothing you say will convince me that my beautiful son Absalom does not feel ultimate loyalty to the king in his heart. His current wife and children remain here in my city. He is making no attempt to remove them from the danger before he might bring trouble on me or on himself."