Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17

(The King Is Escorted to Jerusalem)

Still waiting for news of the battle, Tamar and Jesse retired for the evening. In the middle of the night, they awakened to sudden shattering of their house gate. Jesse left his shepherd's crook in their room and took up his sword. Putting Tamar behind him for safety, he could make out an assassin in the moonless courtyard. When he struck the first assassin to emerge from the stairs to their balcony, a second one caught his sword hand and they struggled on the floor. Jesse then raised his sword hilt and knocked him unconscious.

A third attacker surprised Jesse, knocking him to the floor. He fell unconscious next to his shepherd's crook. Tamar looked down at him and up to the man, who had just hit him. In the dark she could not see him, but she knew his voice all too well.

"Don't fear for your Jesse, my dear Tamar. Fear for yourself."

The arrogant man stepped into the faint light. Standing before Tamar was someone she had known since childhood. But that didn't make his visit any more welcome than ever. If there was anyone she ever hated with justification he confronted her with a sickle sword. It was Jonadab, Amnon's friend. That was if he was ever anyone's friend. Tamar had long known he had encouraged Amnon to trick her into his room that horrific day.

"You dear father, King David, was victorious over Absalom. If your dear brother comes home squatting among the bound captives, there will be no tearful reunion with his loving sister," Jonadab said with extreme sarcasm. If your loving brother keeps his life, he will find you here without yours. Jesse will be grieving for the woman he could never go into. He'll find you dead. Whoever finds your loving Jesse, will not spare his life."

Tamar stood in fear. "Do you not fear for your life?"

"Why? Absalom has been defeated. I don't know if he is alive."

"Why are you here?"

"I am here to take what Amnon had. My desire for you was always overwhelming. I had always wanted to lie with you, but Absalom was so jealous not one could get near you. You were young when poor Amnon took your innocence, but when I take my pleasure, I will find you fresh enough."

Jonadab looked down at Jesse and back to Tamar. "There lies the man who never could have you. Pity he will find your lifeless body when you awake. When he sees his failure to protect you, he will join you in Sheol if someone doesn't take his life before he does."

Tamar looked down at Jesse, who stretched a quiet hand for his shepherd's crook without making noise. She looked up and back down. Jesse was raising his crook just high enough to catch Jonadab's right ankle. As Tamar backed away from him, he took no notice of Jesse. Soon his ankle got hung up in the shepherd's crook.

Tamar understood. She would move with caution to her right toward a jar of water on a nearby table. If Jonadab did not notice of her subtle move, she might succeed in tripping him and defending herself. It worked.

When Tamar moved, Jonadab was caught off guard when he followed her. This allowed Jesse to use what little strength he could muster to pull on his staff. It caught Jonadab by surprise. Unable to keep on his feet, Jonadab fell to the floor. Tamar raced for the water jar. She brought it crashing down on Jonadab's head. He fell unconscious.

Tamar then rushed to Jesse. She raised him up and held him tight. "Oh, my love, I was so frightened."

As Jonadab struggled to get to his feet, another man forced open the door. Seeing Jonadab, he rushed forward and grabbed him. He was joined by a small number of armed men.

Looking around, he spoke, "Tamar and Jesse, I am so sorry for being so slow to come to your help tonight. When Jesse vowed to serve King David by seeing to your protection, Absalom looked around and asked for someone to stay close by here in Jerusalem at all times. I was worried when news came of your brother's defeat. It may cost my life but I have stayed to do my duty."