Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

(Tamar is overjoyed that King David restores Absalom to his former status. With difficulty, she continues to fight her urges to lie with Jesse in secret.)

Abaslom lived in exile with his grandfather Talmai, King of Geshur, for three years for fear that Amnon's kin would have him killed for avenging his crime against Tamar. Although the king grieved over the murder of his son Amnon, he nevertheless longed to have Absalom back with him. In his heart David knew that Amnon was wrong and Absalom was right. How, he thought, may he bring Tamar justice? He should have made Amnon marry her. It would be better for her than she was. He had never objected to Jesse and Tamar's being together. The unfortunate Jesse had to keep his oath, David thought. Were they to run off to another land and cohabitate, he would love Tamar as always.

The king's army commander Joab knew David's heart better than he did. He therefore devised a plan to make David realize that he ought to pardon Absalom for Amnon's murder and someday forgive him altogether. Later the king could restore him to his former status among his sons. He may once again become eligible to succeed the king after his death. Joab just needed something to make the king realize what he should do without taking the direct approach to him on the matter of Absalom.

A good story could always catch the king off guard. So he went out to a wise woman of Tekoa. She had a reputation for making a persuasive case before the king. Further, she could trick the king into discovering for himself what he should do.

So one day she came to the court to ask the king's judgment on a situation that Joab made up. She bowed before David and began her story.

"Oh, king, you are wise. Please help me in this important matter. I had two sons who often quarreled. One day in the fields there was no one to separate them until their anger cooled down. Instead one killed the other. He fled because my relatives have chosen a blood avenger to kill him on behalf of the family. But do that which leaves me with no son to look after me when I cannot take care of myself. I need the king to take up my cause and guarantee my son that no one in my family will harm him. The law says the avenger has a right to kill him, but there is no justice in taking all that I have left. My distant family must surely hate my son more than it loves me enough to take care of me themselves."

The king said, "No one will cause a hair to be harmed on your head. Bid your son return to you with my protection"

"Then," said the woman, changing the subject, "why don't you, oh wise king, not see that you continue to threaten your own son's life for the death of another of your own? Don't you need him back just as much as I need my son?"

King David leaned forward, "Tell me, woman, is the hand of my servant Joab in your story to persuade me to allow my son Absalom to return from exile for what he did to Amnon?

The woman confessed, "Oh king, live forever. Joab is behind this. He only wants the king to be happier once more if he could have his beloved son back with him here.

King David said, "You are dismissed." He then thought for a minute and called for Joab. When Joab arrived, the king commanded him to send a dispatch to Talmai the King of Geshur. In it he swore in writing that Absalom could return to Israel in safety.

Tamar was overjoyed to have Absalom return. By now she had been up to going around Jerusalem unveiled. The women in market now spoke to her and asked about Jesse. They knew her heart and believed her when she said that their relationship was unconsummated. The day that Absalom was supposed to arrive, she had Jesse escort her up to the Mount of Olives since the letter he wrote said he would come that way.

But King David himself would not go out to greet him there. He had only sent permission for Absalom's return. As yet Absalom could not come into his presence or resume his place among the king's special bodyguard.