Chapter 13

-Arisa POV-

"Yay! Magma's all worn out!" said Ginro. "Kinro's going to win it!"
"We've already won then!" said Kaseki.
"Now we can give Ruri the cure-all!" said Chrome.

"Don't start celebrating just yet" I said and they all looked at me. "The match isn't over yet"
"Is that watermelon mask your sorcery?" asked Magma to Kinro. "Isn't that against the rules?"
"You're right" said Kinro.

'Oh, don't fall for it, dude'
"Even though it comes late, we'll have to confirm the rules" said Kinro and turned to Jasper.
"I can't move anymore" said Magma. "I can hardly even speak. The match is over. Ask Jasper, the referee. If he agrees, I'll accept my loss"

The others couldn't hear the conversation.
'Guess I should thank Uki for the sonar training he shared with me, my ears work a lot better'
"I can't hear what they're talking about, but Magma's turned into a clean Magma" said Suika.

"He hasn't" I said. "He's baiting Kinro"
"Referee, this mask was clearly thrown into the match by Suika in order to help me" said Kinro. "Knowing that, I still wore it. If I've broken the rules, then I've lost. The rules are the rules"

"Damn it, you could just keep your mouth shut if it's going to hurt you" said Chrome.
"That's Kinro for you. He's so straight-laced" said Ginro.
"You didn't throw it at him or anything" said Jasper. "The mask is just an article of clothing. Therefore it's not a..."

But Magma had sneaked up on Kinro from behind and struck Kinro down.
"I knew you'd go and ask!" shouted Magma. "You're as proper as hell after all, Kinro!"
"Winner: Magma" announced Jasper.

"Damn, that dirty bastard!" said Chrome.
"Kinro!" shouted Ginro when Jasper brought Kinro to us.
"Sorry" said Kinro.

"Thank goodness, you're alive!" said Ginro.
"Well, whatever" said Senku. "This is a team battle. As long as someone beats Magma, we win"
"That match should have dealt plenty of damage to him" I said. "That's what matters the most"

"Round two: Chrome, Mantle. Forward!" said Jasper.
"Oh, I'm up" said Chrome.
"I'm more worried about the next match" I said. "If Kohaku isn't back by the end of match two, she'll be disqualified"

"Yeah, I know" said Chrome.
"Where's Kohaku?" asked Suika.
"She ran off earlier to save you" said Ginro.

"What?!" said Suika. "I'm going to go find her!"
She ran, but soon fell on her face...
"Sit still. You don't have your glasses" said Senku. "It's too late either way. All we can do is wait"

The match between Chrome and Mantle... was completely different, like two kids fighting...
"Mantle!" I heard Magma shout, he ran his finger over his troath.
Mantle nodded and fell on the ground. "Mercy!"

"Winner: Chrome!" announced Jasper. "The third match... due to Kohaku's absence, the winner is Senku"
"She didn't make it back in time!" cried Suika.
"Suika!" I head Kohaku shout.

"Kohaku!" shouted Suika.
"Damn it! You barely missed it!" said Chrome.
"I'm sorry!" shouted Suika and ran to Kohaku. "Mantle caught me!"

"Thank goodness!" shouted Kohaku and hugged Suika tightly. "I'm so glad he was lying. All that matters is that you didn't drown"
"This is my fault" said Suika. "I'm sorry. You lost because of me"

"There's nothing we can do about that" said Kohaku. "Besides, it isn't your fault in the slightest"
"Now that we've lost our last stand in Kohaku, the only real fighting chance we have left is..." said Senku. "Ginro the guard. You're all we've got"
"Ginro the guard..." said Ginro.

"Does Ginro have any shot against Magma?" asked Chrome.
"To be honest, it'll be tough" said Kohaku.
"That's putting it nicely" I said.

"You said it yourself, Senku" said Ginro. "We're gaming the hell out of this Grand Bout. The strongest isn't necessarily going to win. Haven't you been wondering what I've had in my mouth this whole time?"
"Don't tell me..." said Kohaku.

"Isn't that the raw ingredients for Senku's science drink?" asked Chrome.
"You've kept that in your cheeks like a squirrel this whole time?" said Senku.
"I've been saving it for just before my match" said Ginro.

"Ginro, Argo, forward" said Jasper.
"Oh boy" I said.
"You're just going to end up with the runs!" said Chrome.

"Shh. He's better off not knowing anything at this point" said Senku.
"That man sure is impressionable" said Kohaku. "Not that I didn't know that..."
"For better or worse. There's so much gaming going on in this Grand Bout" said Senku. "Simpletons like him tend to break through in situations like these"

"Match four, begin!" said Jasper.
Ginro landed a few good hits.
"He's under the impression that he's gotten stronger just by eating the herbs?" asked Kinro.

"He's never had caffeine before" I said. "He's probably completely wired"
"And his gullibility makes him fearless" laughed Senku. "Not a thing wrong with that"
But the other guy soon turned it around...

Ginro was completely beaten up...
"Holy crap, Ginro..." said one of the villagers.
"Oh, damn..." said Chrome.

The three pretty girls just screamed.
Ginro was still moving, which scared the other guy.
Ginro drove him to the edge of the island and pushed the other guy off.

"Winner: Ginro!" announced Jasper.
But Ginro soon ran off...
"Where are you going, Ginro?!" asked Kinro.

"He probably has the runs" said Suika.
"Not surprising after how much he ate" said Chrome.

When Ginro came back, he looked beat up and withered out.
"Not good..." said Kinro. "I don't think he'll be fighting anymore"
"I'm sure you know what the situation is" said Senku to Chrome. "If we let Magma make it to the final match, it's game over"

"The probability of Ginro, who's all beat up, or you defeating Magma is zero" said Kohaku.
"So the only way to save Ruri is for me to defeat Magma" said Chrome.
"Magma, Chrome, forward!" said Jasper.

"If you can take down Magma, you'll be the new village chief and Ruri's husband, Chrome" said Senku.
"There's no way Chroma can beat Magma if they go head-to-head" said Kohaku. "But this is a team battle"

"All we can do is hope that Kinro's done enough damage to him" I said.
"Chrome's been practicing hard against the target too" said Suika. "I'm sure the gods of battle are watching"
"Semi-final: Magma versus Chrome. Begin!" announced Jasper.

~

It was brutal...
Magma was beating Chrome more than he should. He was doing it for fun...
"You have to surrender!" shouted Ginro.

"Chrome's going to die!" said Suika.
"We have to do something" I said and bolted my fists.
"Chrome, I know you have no intention of throwing the match for Ruri" I heard Magma say.

"I'm surprised you get it, Magma..." said Chrome. "You meat-for-brains"
"This just gets me even more excited" said Magma. "Until Ruri cries and begs for surrender in your place, I'll beat you into a pulp and make sure you never walk again"

"That piece of shit" I whispered.
Chrome threw some sand to Magma's eyes and crawled to the watermelon.
After a while he held it in front of him.

"What is he doing with Suika's mask?" asked Kohaku.
"Oh, look at that. It's the sorcery mask that I basked up" said Magma. "Do you think you can scare me with that now?"

"He's got the wrong idea" said Senku. "Chrome's trying to use Suika's lens to start a fire on Magma's black clothes. That's clearly his intention. The magnifying glass I used to start a fire is convex, which means it focuses light. Meanwhile, glasses are concave. They spread light"
"What does that mean?" asked Kohaku.

"Suika's glasses aren't going to start a fire, ten billion percent" said Senku. "No, Chrome! You can't start a fire with a concave lens!"
"Don't worry, Senku" said Chrome. "I'm a bit of a science user myself!"

"Chrome, don't tell me... no way..." said Senku. "He was dripping water on the convex lens of Suika's mask. He made a concave lens, literally out of sweat and tears"
"Is that actually going to start a fire, though?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

"Yeah, it's called a burning lens" said Senku. "There's even been a case where a lens made from a suction cup and air started a fire... Gen!"
"The smooth talker! Why are you here?" asked Kohaku.

"Long time" said Gen. "Look, never mind what I've been up to. Shouldn't you be worried about Chrome? I need the kingdom of science to win. I need that bottle of cola, you know"
"You've been watching the whole time, haven't you?" laughed Senku.
"How many seconds does he need to start the fire?" asked Gen. "That's the big question"

"It turns out the math isn't that simple" said Senku. "I'll figure it out right now"
"Show off" I sighed when he began calculating.
"Sixty seconds" said Senku. "On the dot"

"Okay" said Gen. "Now it's up to the mentalist"
Gen ran to the top building and stood on the roof.
"Magma!" he shouted. "Thanks for killing me the other day"

"You!" shouted Magma. "You're the sorcerer from outside!"
"H-H-How are you alive?!" shouted Mantle.
"With sorcery, of course" smiled Gen, and made a few weird hand signals. "I just put a curse on you so that your heart will explode as soon as you so much as take a step"

"This is obviously outside interference by sorcery!" shouted Magma to Jasper. "This is cheating!"
"It would be if your heart exploded" I said.
"But if it's a bluff, then it's just a taunt" Senku smiled evil. "Nothing wrong with that. Why don't you try moving? See if you explode"

"Chrome, take him down while he can't move" said Gen.
"O-Oh, no!" said Chrome. "I'm so terrified, I can't move anymore"
"Horrible acting, Chrome" I said and facepalmed.

"It's good enough" said Senku. "Gen made it convincing"
"Please, I'm begging you!" said Gen. "Hurry! This sorcery is seriously draining. I can only hold him for a minute"

"Good thing you're a wimp" laughed Magma. "All I have to do is wait for the sorcerer to run out of strength"
"He just wants a little break" I sighed.

After a minute, a spark ignited on Magma's clothes.
"Now, pat it" said Senku and Magma hit the spark on his clothes, setting them on fire. "It's a surface flash fire. The flames spreads instantly across the surface of fluffy clothing"

"Hey, Magma, relax" said Chrome. "I have no intention of becoming a murderer. I'll do the kindness of helping you"
Chrome hit Magma in his balls, and he fell off the island.

"Winner: Chrome!" announced Jasper.
"Yeah!" shouted Chrome. "Magma's down!"
"Which means the last contestants are..." said Suika.

"Senku, Chrome and Ginro" said Gen.
"They're all on our side!" said Suika.
"Yeah!" said Senku. "It's total victory for the kingdom of science!"